web based marketing for your band...talk to me

chris-dax

• Members

So I'm getting my next project off the ground (first 2 rehearsals under the belt and a recording session for demo disc scheduled next week)

So we're ready to kick the star maker machinery into gear and I'd like to get your ideas about

• input...c-d

ps - fyi the name of the band is Red Clay and it's a jazz quartet playing primarily jazz standards from the 40s to present (real book stuff) with a contemporary rhythm section concept (latin and hip hop) and including material from the world beat genres and other influences..

• Members

To be honest, extensive web-based marketing is kind of a waste of energy for a band that will operate locally (or near-field regionally). You need a web presence to be sure, but only as something to direct people to after you've had an in-person interaction, or as part of your promo kit. Things like email blasts and the like are probably not optimal for this product.

As far as a database, a well-organized Gmail account and Google calendar with repeating reminders can handle most of your needs. If the band starts seeing financial success, I could see a need for a more robust set-up (tracking earning history, being able to flag certain clients and keep comments on gigs, etc.) - look for something open-source with a good "Getting Started" guide. A MySQL db isn't that hard to get running.

Keep the band site simple - the main page should be able to satisfy 95% of a user's needs. A Flash player that runs from the main page (no clicking to a new page), easily visible contact info, pull quotes from good reviews (with links to the full reviews), a couple of good pics, laid out simply.

Graphics may be your sticking point. You may either have to train yourself on an Adobe-like product or bite the bullet and pay someone to do it. Don't skimp. It's obvious.

• Members

To be honest, extensive web-based marketing is kind of a waste of energy for a band that will operate locally (or near-field regionally). You need a web presence to be sure, but only as something to direct people to after you've had an in-person interaction, or as part of your promo kit. Things like email blasts and the like are probably not optimal for this product.

As far as a database, a well-organized Gmail account and Google calendar with repeating reminders can handle most of your needs. If the band starts seeing financial success, I could see a need for a more robust set-up (tracking earning history, being able to flag certain clients and keep comments on gigs, etc.) - look for something open-source with a good "Getting Started" guide. A MySQL db isn't that hard to get running.

Keep the band site simple - the main page should be able to satisfy 95% of a user's needs. A Flash player that runs from the main page (no clicking to a new page), easily visible contact info, pull quotes from good reviews (with links to the full reviews), a couple of good pics, laid out simply.

Graphics may be your sticking point. You may either have to train yourself on an Adobe-like product or bite the bullet and pay someone to do it. Don't skimp. It's obvious.

Obviously they call you takeout cause you deliver...:D

All great advice....thanks.

I should have also included in the OP that I'm looking for every possible efficiency so that the business/marketing time requirements remain managable.

The points you mentioned about finance managment and client tracking are exactly the kind of dialogue I'm looking for. This will help me fomulate a description of the project and get it organized for me mentally.

Great stuff....if anyone has specific programs/links they use or like please let me know

• Members

...ps - fyi the name of the band is Red Clay and it's a jazz quartet playing primarily jazz standards from the 40s to present (real book stuff) with a contemporary rhythm section concept (latin and hip hop) and including material from the world beat genres and other influences..

This sounds pretty hip! :cool::thu:

• Members

This sounds pretty hip!
:cool::thu:

I can't tell you how excited I am to even be at this stage....I've got a couple of killer young players who are as beautiful inside as out, a great concept, and enough connections to keep us at least a little bit busy....

everybody is coming up with great ideas and is as sold out on the project as I am....

this is really a dream come true for me....I can't wait to have something to share with the board...

• Members

Do yourself a Favor and pick up this book...It has all the answers you need.

The title is a bit decieving , but it is a good read.
:cool:

Tour Smart

Thanks for the tip, dert...living in Denver, the game plan is a pretty local or "near-field" as takeout put it but this looks like a great book even so.

I'll see if I can track it down...one can never know too much about those aspects of the game...c-d

Archived