which compressor should i purchase

bassdudeguy

• Members

Do you have to have a rackmount?

An EBS Multicomp or Demeter Compulator will give you as good a sound (if not better!) and a lot less real estate.

That being said, go try and find an older dbx 160's model. I had a 70's 160x and it was damn nice!

• Members

I've heard both of those comps are crap, dont play them so I really can't say. Sometimes price reflects quality. Do you want a rack or pedal? Rack obviously since you posted links to 2 of 'em. You come up with $275, I'll sell you a badass TC ElectronicTriple C in good condition. I'd say great condition, but the screen has a scratch on it. Buy this, you'll never have to buy another compressor... unless you want a stereo rig.

triplecb.jpg

• Members

The 266xl is the lowest dbx model. Of course it isn't the best dbx offers, but crap is a stretch. It's head and shoulders above the 3630.
;)

Werd.

The Alesis is pretty poopy IME...

Now, if you don't to be a girl about it-

disfront.gif

:thu:

• Members

Do you have to have a rackmount?

An EBS Multicomp or Demeter Compulator will give you as good a sound (if not better!) and a lot less real estate.

That being said, go try and find an older dbx 160's model. I had a 70's 160x and it was damn nice!

definitly listen to him... the EBS compressor is godly! :cop:

• Members

If you get the Alesis and dare to mention it here then people will bitch and whine at you about it, endlessly,
ad infinitum
, despite the fact that it's
none of their {censored}ing business

So whatever you get, just say you got the dbx. It's easier for everyone in the long run.

What's your point? It's not like he didn't ask for our opinion.

• Members

If you get the Alesis and dare to mention it here then people will bitch and whine at you about it, endlessly,
ad infinitum
, despite the fact that it's
none of their {censored}ing business

So whatever you get, just say you got the dbx. It's easier for everyone in the long run.

i just ordered the dbx anyway :poke:

alesis looked cooler though:cry:

• Members

Alesis 3630 is the last compressor I would use on bass. They lose some bottom end tone and I could never get a satisfactory punch from the compression.

I experimented with dBX, UREI/JBL, Ashly, and Furman compressors and they do a better job on bass. Compressors really do have individual personalities and you get what you pay for.

Archived