So I bought 5er

justinbass

• Members

:blah:

I feel like a new player again. I am learning that technique that Jeff Berlin always talks about for using my right thumb to dampen strings. It is not natural at all yet.

Sadly, my camera won't be home until 6 or so, so you only get a stock photo for now.

Used, $250. Damn near mint condition :thu:

elite5_bch.jpg

• Members

Niiiiiiiiiiiiice!!!! Ignore BOALG when he jumps into this thread and says "%'ers are for Pussies" or some other nonsense.

I just got a gig in a Metal band that tunes down and uses a LOT of high notes at times. I need a 5er for the gig.

BOALG be damned. We'll continue to share a dislike of Warwicks and a love of old Ibanezs. You can't win 'em all.

• Members

I only got a chance to play it for about an hour. I am posting from work right now.

My review so far.

Negatives

- a couple sharp fret edges. But that's what files were made for.

- I suck at playing 5ers. (Not a real negative)

Positives

- The controls. 4 knobs. Volume, blend, Treble, & Bass. Treble and bass are both boost/cut.

- The two pickups produce some very Jazz bass like tones. I primarily play jazz basses, so this bass sounds right to me. Kepping the EQ flat, I get the tones I am used to a jazz making. So, the bridge solo'd sounds very Jaco like; both pickups full on sounds like it would fit right in the mix, and it gives that great neck pickup tone. I am very happy. Boosting the bass creates some thick, boomy, dub bass tones, and with boosted treble the bass has BITE!

- The hardware is very solid. The tuners are great, and I am liking the bridge.

So far I am happy. I'll add more thoughts later after playing it some more.

And for the price, well, I got damn lucky. I would be just as happy with this bass if it had cost $750+ and didn't have the sharp fret edges. If that doesn't say something, I don't know what would.

• Members

Lock up all your 4-stringers and give the key to your mom to hide in her bra. No tempation to pick one up for a while.

Do all your practicing and noodling around on the 5er. You will be surprised at how quickly it will feel natural to you and the fours will seem skinny and have sort of a "bass-lite" sound after you get used to the 5er.

Congrats on the job and good deal on the bass!

• Members

:blah:

I feel like a new player again. I am learning that technique that Jeff Berlin always talks about for using my right thumb to dampen strings. It is not natural at all yet.

Sadly, my camera won't be home until 6 or so, so you only get a stock photo for now.

Used, $250. Damn near mint condition
:thu:

elite5_bch.jpg

NICE! :thu:

Rock that axe!

• Members

That's a really good deal! I looked at those when I started looking at Schecters, the neck is chunkier than the studio and the tone wasn't quite as nice (because of the lack of MID control).. still a solid axe!! Good purchase!

If I end up likeing this bass a lot, I might end up upgrading to a studio to get the mid control if the pickups/pre-amp are otherwise identical. I can't see a reason not to have a mid control if I can get one. :thu:

Man, how quickly things can change.

A week ago I was a die hard supporter of passive, 4 string basses, and now I have an active 5er. Who would have thought?

• Members

Lock up all your 4-stringers and give the key to your mom to hide in her bra. No tempation to pick one up for a while.

Do all your practicing and noodling around on the 5er. You will be surprised at how quickly it will feel natural to you and the fours will seem skinny and have sort of a "bass-lite" sound after you get used to the 5er.

Congrats on the job and good deal on the bass!

Great advice here. Play only the 5 and in a week, probably less, it will feel natural.

• Members

I have a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz, but desperatly wanted a five or six strings 'cause of all the great Dream Theatrer masterpieces I want to play. Found this Ibanez BTB405QM in great shape for $300 and can't be happier. It's a Cadillac compared to the Squier Chevette!

Sorry, don't know how to post a picture...

Archived