Any Cigar Lovers out There?

qmel4

• Members

Now your'e talking. I prefer the Balvenie or the MacAllan for my scotch, but hey, different stokes right?
:D

Different strokes? Whachu talkin' 'bout Willis? ;)

(by way of explanation, Jugghaid and I have had this discussion before and determined our tastes in this matter are the same)

I love me a good cigar. I'm mostly a warm weather smoker though. I don't like to smoke inside. But I love sitting on my deck on a warm evening with a nice cigar, a Scotch and the TV in the kitchen pulled up by the door so I can watch a Red Sox game. :thu:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Just got a humidor a few weeks ago. It's nice to be sure my cigars will stay fresh. It's pretty barren in there though....only 2 CAO MX2's and a Punch Coronation....and some cheapo's I might toss. Time to start stocking up!

Just make sure you're using distilled water in you're humidifier... I used "purified" water or "spring water" thinking that the bottled stuff would be better than nothing/tap water, but apparently it clogs up the humidifier and doesnt humidify as well....

I recently took mine apart and realized that the screen that lays on top of the foam (i think it's used in some humidifiers to keep the water from dripping back out) was completely full of rust and clogged up, so I took it apart, soaked it in rust cleaner and put in a new batch of that green floral wet foam, and hopefully that did the trick.

(Yes, i did thourougly wash the chemicals out of it before putting it back)

Also make sure you have a good hygrometer.... my analog crapped out so I orderd a digital hygrometer/thermometer to replace it... should be in the mailbox today! (I think it was the western caliber III)

Remember, analogs have to be calibrated every now and then to get an accurate reading.

Also, dont over fill the humidor, and when you get more than 3 cigars in there, make sure you rotate them every now and then so they humidify evenly....

I've also heard that humidors with trays keep the bottom cigars from getting a good humidity....

and 65-72 degrees with a 70% RH is usually the way to go ;)

• Members
Just make sure you're using distilled water in you're humidifier... I used "purified" water or "spring water" thinking that the bottled stuff would be better than nothing/tap water, but apparently it clogs up the humidifier and doesnt humidify as well....

I recently took mine apart and realized that the screen that lays on top of the foam (i think it's used in some humidifiers to keep the water from dripping back out) was completely full of rust and clogged up, so I took it apart, soaked it in rust cleaner and put in a new batch of that green floral wet foam, and hopefully that did the trick.

Also make sure you have a good hygrometer.... my analog crapped out so I orderd a digital hygrometer/thermometer to replace it... should be in the mailbox today! (I think it was the western caliber III)

Remember, analogs have to be calibrated every now and then to get an accurate reading.

Also, dont over fill the humidor, and when you get more than 3 cigars in there, make sure you rotate them every now and then so they humidify evenly....

I've also heard that humidors with trays keep the bottom cigars from getting a good humidity....

and 65-72 degrees with a 70% RH is usually the way to go
;)

All good advice. However, most of the good humidors have slotted trays so that it's not an issue with rotatin them. I have a packed 250 cigar one in my office.

Also, if you want to try out some good samplers and such and also get damn good prices, check ou www.jrcigar.com . they are a really good internet retailer and everything always shows up nice and fresh. lus they kick in some really nice goodies sometimes. The also have a pretty nice stock of vintage cigars as well.

• CMS Author

and 65-72 degrees with a 70% RH is usually the way to go
;)

As I write this, my hygrometer is sitting in a baggie with the salt solution, settling to 75% RH. It was reading way lower than it should.

• Members
Fad? News to me. More deets please.
:wave:

Yes, it was a fad that everyone was trying, but gave up really quickly. Not saying that people don't still smoke cigars such as yourself, but the bottom really fell through very quickly with shops popping up all over the place and then disappearing as quickly as they sprang up.

It's like when CB Radios came around only truckers really used them....but then the craze came along and EVERYONE had to get one. Then it died down and went back to only truckers really using them. :D

Cigars aren't going anywhere obviously, but it's no longer the craze it once was.

• Members

Yes, it was a fad that everyone was trying, but gave up really quickly. Not saying that people don't still smoke cigars such as yourself, but the bottom really fell through very quickly with shops popping up all over the place and then disappearing as quickly as they sprang up.

It's like when CB Radios came around only truckers really used them....but then the craze came along and EVERYONE had to get one. Then it died down and went back to only truckers really using them.
:D

Cigars aren't going anywhere obviously, but it's no longer the craze it once was.

Now if only Faux-Hawk hair cuts would die the same quick death. They're so damn stupid looking.

• Members

check ou
www.jrcigar.com
. they are a really good internet retailer and everything always shows up nice and fresh. lus they kick in some really nice goodies sometimes. The also have a pretty nice stock of vintage cigars as well.

Have you smoked any of their JR brand Juggs? I've been curious about them, given the price point, just haven't pulled the trigger on any.

• Members
All good advice. However, most of the good humidors have slotted trays so that it's not an issue with rotatin them. I have a packed 250 cigar one in my office.

Also, if you want to try out some good samplers and such and also get damn good prices, check ou
www.jrcigar.com
. they are a really good internet retailer and everything always shows up nice and fresh. lus they kick in some really nice goodies sometimes. The also have a pretty nice stock of vintage cigars as well.

Dang... I want to try some of their coffee!

MXHB.jpg

this stuff looks fantastic.... I wonder if it's as good as they say? too bad they're out of stock:cry:

• Members
Dang... I want to try some of their coffee!

MXHB.jpg

this stuff looks fantastic.... I wonder if it's as good as they say? too bad they're out of stock:cry:

Dude, they sell the REAL DEAL Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee. Expensive as hell, but frmo what coffee drinkers tell me, the best in the world.

• Members
Dude, they sell the REAL DEAL Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee. Expensive as hell, but frmo what coffee drinkers tell me, the best in the world.

I saw that.... very tempting...

Although my wife would kill me if she saw I spent 35 bucks on a bag of beans :cop:

On a side note, I was inspired to go out and buy a coffee grinder last night.... So I run out and get one, and some coffee beans of course, and I dig out my coffee maker, which has been laying dormant on my portable dishwasher for the last.... oh... 2 or 3 months?

(My wife had decided to move it off the kitchen table, and I never bothered to hook it back up, so I just quit drinking coffee for a while... or rather, making my own)

So I grind up some beans and I'm all stoked to pop them in the filter and set the timer for in the morning, when I open up the top of the coffee maker and..........

I had forgotten to clean out the grounds last time I made coffee..... 2 or 3 months ago.

Talk about NASSSSTY.:freak:

Archived