OT: what is up with Vista?!

seraphim7s

• Members

I am no computer geek, but I DO know that my brand new computer SHOULD run quicker than my mum's 2 year old one - but on games (HL2, Stalker) they seem to run at about the same speed. My mum's computer uses Windows XP and I run Vista.

I've updated the graphics drivers, done Windows update, got the latest DirectX, installed the latest patches ... to no avail.

I mean, I have twice as much RAM, a much better vid card (Nvidia 6600 vs. 8400 GS) and a 2.4 GHz Duo CPU vs. a 2 GHz AMD Athlon ....

So wtf gives? This is annoying me no end!

• Members

A 8400 may be newer than a 6600 with new functionalities but it isn't much faster, hardly 20 %.

If you use pretty high resolutions, processor power becomes a minor factor.

HL2 uses less than 1 gb to run.

What makes you think it's Vista's fault ?

And why do you swear in the thread title ?

• Members

I'm using the same resolution as before - LCD ... erm, settings.

I just thought it might be Vista's fault because I've heard loads of people moaning about it. Like I say - I don't know much about computers. The technicalities of computing kinda bore me to death, and so I usually seek the advice of more qualified people!

Soz about the swearing - didn't know it included acronyms.

• Members

Vista is earning a bad reputation as a poor performance resource hog. This reputation has been confirmed by major computer organizations since its release.

The backlash has been so bad that Dell and other PC sellers have won licenses from M$ to continue selling PCs with older XP running on them. Few corporations plan any migration to Vista, they are avoiding it like the plague.

Hollywood loves Vista because of its heavily integrated DRM, to counter p2p. The computer industry hates it because it has poor performance, drivers are slow in coming (many OEMs have no plans at all to update drivers to Vista), and you literally need a brand new computer to run it.

• Members

Vista is a bloated cow. You can improve Vista's peformance marginally by disabling all the wiz-bang eye candy and other useless functions but still, Vista is a just a bad gaming platform and could possibly be Microsoft's biggest blunder since Windows ME.

• Members

I still have a computer with ME on it my wife uses it because she likes it better than XP? but to each there own I guess. I know or knew 6-8 people that had vista , only 1 still has it everyone else went back to XP. and even the one that still uses it dos'nt like it.

• Members

I bought my computer a little over a year ago (Dell XPS410, 2.4GHz core 2 duo, 2GB RAM, NVidia GEForce 7300LE, 293GB hard drive w/ 320GB external HD). I got it with Windows XP on it, with a free upgrade to Vista when it was available (when it came out, register online and they would mail it). I figured why not, give it a shot. I ran XP for about 5-6 months with no problems - computer was very fast, start up and shutdown was extremely quick, games worked great, etc. I 'upgraded' to Vista when I got it, after I was on the phone with a Dell or Microsoft tech for 3 hours during installation since nothing was working correctly during the install. I immediately noticed startup was much slower. I can't even shut down my computer correctly now with Vista. I go to shutdown, it goes through the process and gets to the screen where it says "shutting down" and then freezes - every time. I have to manually hold the button and shut down the computer at that point. I just put the computer to sleep at night instead of shutting down because it's such a pain. I have to reinstall my printer software EVERY time I want to use my printer because it does not recognize it. Games don't run that well on it (I played Need for Speed Carbon and it would continually just freeze and shut down the game). I bought the external HD to back up everything on here I want, and I am going to reformat and load XP back on because I'm done with this Vista business.

• Members

Vista is a bloated cow. You can improve Vista's peformance marginally by disabling all the wiz-bang eye candy and other useless functions but still, Vista is a just a bad gaming platform and could possibly be Microsoft's biggest blunder since Windows ME.

There is no bigger blunder than Microsoft BOB.

Archived