Automotive GPS Units

Thunderbroom

• Members

I bought my wife a Garmin StreetPilot c330 for her birthday. Since then I've been thinking I want one. Most of the time if I want to use it, I just borrow it from her but there have been times when she's had it and I had to go back to the "old" way of doing things...MapQuest!

I'm thinking of just getting another one of these but now think I should do a bit more legwork. I don't want to spend more than $300 on a unit. Any suggestions for other units to look at. I'm a fan of the suction cup mount on the c330.

• Members

If I'm remembering the model number correctly, we have a Garmin nuvi 360. It kicks ass. In multiple languages, even. :D Downloading US roadmap updates is pretty easy, and free if you have the original registration. I expect to get a Europe map soon.

The only downer is that I need a new suction cup mount. The old one doesn't stay on the windshield well any more.

I also need a traffic receiver for the DC metropolitan area, but since I'm only here for another 6 months or so, I'm resisting pulling that trigger.

• Members

If I'm remembering the model number correctly, we have a
Garmin nuvi 360
. It kicks ass. In multiple languages, even.
:D
Downloading US roadmap updates is pretty easy, and free if you have the original registration. I expect to get a Europe map soon.

The only downer is that I need a new suction cup mount. The old one doesn't stay on the windshield well any more.

I also need a traffic receiver for the DC metropolitan area, but since I'm only here for another 6 months or so, I'm resisting pulling that trigger.

I also think the 360 is the price/performance leader. Fast route calculation, bluetooth, text to speach. I also believe it costs around 360. I bought my mother a Tom-Tom 1xl for christmas. I had my wife try it out, and it worked well and was easy to use. That said, if it were for me, Garmin 360 nuvi hands down.

• Members

I got one of those Nokia navigator phones, its actually pretty damn good, being able to see what places to eat are nearby, select them and call them.. And its small enough I just put it in my jacket pocket on the bike and can hear it through headphones.

• CMS Author

If it were me, I'd go for it. I have a pretty good sense of direction, but every time I go to DC it seems like they picked everything up and rearranged it......

• Members

I've never used a GPS outside the military. I can read a map pretty well.
:D

Same here. But I can't do it on the fly in the PITA that is the DC metropolitan area. ;) At least not easily.

Then again, I've learned not to listen to the GPS when it tells me to do anything involving I-95 or I-395. :D

• Members

I made such a stink about having nav in my Pilot. I wouldn't even test drive one unless it had the nav. Spent the extra dough...and I rarely use it...I should have went for something like a Tom Tom or Garmin.

• Members
I made such a stink about having nav in my Pilot. I wouldn't even test drive one unless it had the nav. Spent the extra dough...and I rarely use it...I should have went for something like a Tom Tom or Garmin.

I don't see me using mine (once I get it) a whole lot. The times that I need to use it will make it invaluable though.

No more printing out MapQuest directions!!!
:thu:

• Moderators

What's the main difference between the cheapies and a really good one? All this talk is making me think I should get one. I got lost a couple of months ago out in the middle of nowhere looking for a bar we were playing in a really small town in an area I was unfamiliar with. As luck would have it, I took the wrong fork in the road. GPS would have been a godsend.

• Members

What's the main difference between the cheapies and a really good one? All this talk is making me think I should get one. I got lost a couple of months ago out in the middle of nowhere looking for a bar we were playing in a really small town in an area I was unfamiliar with. As luck would have it, I took the wrong fork in the road. GPS would have been a godsend.

The feature set seems to be one of the major differences. More doesn't necessarily mean better. The more expensive ones have features such as the ability to check live traffic (for a monthy fee), bluetooth capability (to use your phone hands-free), mp3 player, picture viewer, improved processor for faster route calculations/recalculations, text-to-speech, preprogrammed points of interest (love this feature!) and many more.

I know what you mean about getting lost. I got lost due to Chicago construction a few months returning from L-1329's gig. It was a bit disconcerting being lost in Chicago at 1am. It won't happen again.

• Members

I'm using a TomTom Go 510, paid $199 on Woot for it. There's a Woot-off going on, keep an eye on it and you'll probably score one for $170 or so. Works great for me and with a 2 gig SD card you can flash it and upload the newest software if you're so inclined. Doesn't have text-to-speech but that wasn't a huge deal for me (in other words, it says "Turn left in 2 miles" and then "left turn ahead", not "Turn left onto Boardwalk Avenue" or anything). Big bright touchscreen too. Mine is used daily since I do on-site service calls and then play gigs at places I've never been to at night, has a ton of points of interest preloaded and you can add more.

I've heard plenty of good about the XL too.

Archived