husker FB coach

gspointer

• Members

Osborne is having a press conference at 4pm presumably to announce Bo Pelini as new head coach.

To the majority of the forum that could not care less, I apologize for the wasted bandwidth.

I care! And I disagree, I think Pelini will be around for a long time as the Husker's coach.

• Members

i care too! and i think he's a great choice. of all the people whose names were tossed around - paul johnson, jim grobe, brian kelly, turner gill - i think he's the most interesting and probably the strongest young candidate out there. although rich rodriguez would have been quite a score, too...

• Members

He also has a defense mindset. Defense is big at Nebraska. This is why there was not just disappointment with Callahan. There was hate. Nebraska didn't just lose; they lost and didn't play defense.

Yea, them black shirts haved looked a little gray the past few years.

• Members

i would respectfully disagree. while recruiting is vitally important, actually being able to shape a top recruit into a great player at the collegiate level is even more critical.

case in point, bill callahan was widely regarded as a tremendous recruiter. he had recruiting classes in the top 10-15 for three of his years there. however, those highly regarded recruits never played up to their potential. there were grumblings around for years that some of the players weren't there to be great college football players, they were there to get to show off in hopes of upping their fortunes at the next level by being under a "proven" NFL coach.

pelini, on the other hand, has been described as a solid recruiter but an outstanding motivator who shapes all the kids into the best players they can be, and gets them hyped up to play every down to the best they can. as a diehard fan, i'll take that guy any day!

just my opinion, of course.

• Moderators
i would respectfully disagree. . . . . .

That's OK. I'm going off of examples like Bobby Bowden and Joe Paterno. Obviously those guys can coach, but for the past 5 years, maybe more for Penn State, they've been getting out-recruited and not getting the volume of high caliber players they were accustomed to getting in the past.

• Members

Nebraska is not a top program any more, and the Nebraska coaching job is no longer a top tier job...

Sorry to those operating under the delusion that Nebraska is still among the College Football elite, it is very much not...

As for recruiting and Callahan's classes, look at how many of the out-of-state players were among the top HS players in the country...it's remarkably few.

• Members

Nebraska is not a top program any more, and the Nebraska coaching job is no longer a top tier job...

Sorry to those operating under the delusion that Nebraska is still among the College Football elite, it is very much not...

As for recruiting and Callahan's classes, look at how many of the out-of-state players were among the top HS players in the country...it's remarkably few.

I see we have found an area you are not well versed in.

• Members

Ne head coach is still a top tier job, The facilities and fan base are very near the top. The vast majority of the state backs the program. The tradition dates back to 1890. 289 consecutive sell-outs.

Which of these teams would not be a "top-tier" job

Michigan

Notre Dame

Texas

Ohio State

Alabama

Penn State

Oklahoma

Tennessee

USC

Notre Dame is down, do you think they will stay there? Oklahoma and USC were irrelevant nationally for a few years.

• Members

I see we have found an area you are not well versed in.

Which part?

The part where Nebraska is no longer an elite program?

Two of the last four seasons they haven't even been bowl eligible.

In only one of the last six seasons have they won 10 games (10-3 in 2003). They've only had a winning record in half of the last six seasons.

They've made the BCS twice in it's entire existence, and not once in the last six years.

Or is it the part where it's not an elite coaching job any more?

Tell me this, which of the candidates under discussion for Nebraska have been in discussions for any other top program in the past four years? Which of the current top coaches were discussed in relation to the Nebraska job? The answer for both is 'zero'.

And if it's Callahan's recruiting to which you're referring, take a look at his recruiting classes.

Overall ranks for previous years (from scout.com, I can also cite rivals or SI if you prefer, they're not much different):

2008: 14th overall, One five star recruit, two top 100 recruits.

2007: 21st overall, Zero five star recruits, zero top 100 recruits.

2006: 29th overall, One five star recruit, zero top 100 recruits.

2005: 10th overall, one five-star recruit, two top 100 recruits.

So, in the four recruiting classes under Callahan (2004 not being entirely his) they managed one ranking in the top 10, only three five star recruits and only 4 top 100 recruits. A total of four players.

In comparison, the #10 team for 2008 (Oklahoma, Nebraska's in conference rival) has commitments from three five star recruits and six top 100 recruits, for just 2008...

And of those four top recruits Nebraska managed over the last four years, one of them is from Lincoln, which means over the last four years, only three top recruits came from out of state to play at Nebraska...

If you think that:

Two of four years not eligible and 50% of the last six seasons being winning seasons defines an "elite program", That no big names being discussed for the coaching job defines an "elite position", and that three top out-of-state recruits in four years defines a great recruiter and isn't "remarkably few" top out-of-state players...

Well then...You might want to look at your part in the chorus, before you make claims about the verse...;)

• Members

Ne head coach is still a top tier job, The facilities and fan base are very near the top. The vast majority of the state backs the program. The tradition dates back to 1890. 289 consecutive sell-outs.

Fan support != elite program.

Notre Dame is down, do you think they will stay there? Oklahoma and USC were irrelevant nationally for a few years.

And when Bob Stoops took the job at Oklahoma, it wasn't the result of a giant national contest either. Neither was Pete Carroll taking the job at USC (he was a failure in the NFL, it wasn't like USC wooed him away).

As for Notre Dame, they haven't won a bowl game in almost 14 years. They have had two ten win seasons in the last 14 years. They have failed to become bowl eligible in four of the last nine seasons. When the NCAA changed the bowl eligibility rules to allow .500 teams, tons of national commentators took to calling it the "Notre Dame Rule"...

You think Notre Dame is just recently down? :confused:

What are your criteria for defining an elite program? If the last decade and a half at ND qualifies in your book, what program doesn't? Half of the schools in the NCAA have been better than ND in the last ten+ years.

Of the teams you list, only Alabama and Oklahoma have had stretches like the one Nebraska is in currently (and thus your list is actually two teams, and not a very convincing point)...

I'm not saying Nebraska isn't ever going to be an elite program again...I'm saying it isn't now. And the memories of Nebraska fans don't change that fact.

• Members

recruiting classes:bor:, Nu had 2 top 10 recruiting classes from 1992 to 2000.

10th in 1995, and tied for 10th with Baylor in 1996. I would guess the consecutive national championships NU won in 94 and 95 with their poorly ranked recruiting classes helped a little in recruiting for 95 and 96.

• Moderators

10th in 1995, and tied for 10th with Baylor in 1996. I would guess the consecutive national championships NU won in 94 and 95 with their poorly ranked recruiting classes helped a little in recruiting for 95 and 96.

What does that have to do with 2007? Or for that matter the last ten years?

• Members

I addressed all three possible meanings of your vague and unsubstantiated statement. (and my comments were also directed at Venturawest who said Callahan was a good recruiter)

That was only one of them.

Are you just going to keep saying "HUSKERS RULE" or are you actually going to say something of substance?

You've made comparisons to Oklahoma and USC being down in the 90s, comparisons that support my position since neither were considered top jobs when Stoops and Carroll took them.

Your only claim of substance so far is "Tradition and fan base" which means nothing on a national stage. Plenty of other teams have both and aren't elite programs and your list of teams in comparison have tradition, fan base, and a decade of winning that Nebraska doesn't...

You think a recruit cares about Osborne winning the National Championship when they were 6 years old? Because that's what you've got...

Tradition and fan base is great, but as I said, there are a dozen teams that have all of that and have consistently won over the past decade...That's what makes an elite program...

• Members

Fan support != elite program.

You think Notre Dame is just
recently
down?
:confused:

I never said recent, I asked if you thought they will stay down

Of the teams you list, only Alabama and Oklahoma have had stretches like the one Nebraska is in currently (and thus your list is actually two teams, and not a very convincing point)...

The connection of these teams is that they are the top 10 winningest programs in college football history, ( I left #4 out)

I'm not saying Nebraska isn't ever going to be an elite program again...I'm saying it isn't now. And the memories of Nebraska fans don't change that fact.

100 years of excellence cannot be brushed away in 7 years

Check on ESPN and other pundit sites, the consesus seems to be that Notre Dame is the best coaching position anywhere, (I would lean more to Michigan)

• Members

Are you just going to keep saying "HUSKERS RULE" or are you actually going to say something of substance?

I haven't seen the "substance in your posts....

Tradition and fan base is great, but as I said, there are a dozen teams that have all of that
and
have consistently won over the past decade...That's what makes an elite program...

Ahh There it is an elite team depends soley on the past decade.

• Members

1st, learn how to quote...Having to copy and paste your comments is a pain...

I never said recent, I asked if you thought they will stay down

No...But I never said Nebraska would either (in fact I explicitly said the exact opposite).

However, Notre Dame hasn't been an elite program for a decade and a half.

The connection of these teams is that they are the top 10 winningest programs in college football history, ( I left #4 out)

And? This once again supports my point. Of all those teams, only two have had the same sort of stretch Nebraska has been in, and both of them were not considered elite programs during that time (Stoop's hiring and Carrol's hiring are great examples).

100 years of excellence cannot be brushed away in 7 years

It doesn't erase it, but it sure as hell makes people forget it for the time being.

You can say it doesn't, but the current coaching discussions give all the evidence necessary that it's no longer and elite position (and their stats over the past decade is all that's necessary to illustrate they're no longer an elite program nationally).

Check on ESPN and other pundit sites, the consesus seems to be that Notre Dame is the best coaching position anywhere, (I would lean more to Michigan)

ESPN huh? It seems Espn.com's pundits agree with me...

And Notre Dame remains an elite coaching position despite not being an elite program for the past decade. That isn't the case with Nebraska. When Notre Dame's position came up, it was of national interest and drew names from other top programs and the NFL...Neither is the case in Lincoln right now.

• Members

Ahh There it is an elite team depends soley on the past decade.

No, an Elite team depends on winning...Ten years ago, the recruits entering college now were 7-8 years old...They remember the last ten years. A kid from San Diego California doesn't remember Nebraska winning under Osborne, he has no ties to the University or its traditions, he wants to win and contend on a National scale. Nebraska hasn't offered either during his adolescence or adulthood.

Winning is what matters. It's what has always mattered (which is why you provided a list of the winningest programs in history), and it will always be what matters.

Top programs are defined by consistent winning. Period. That's the tradition that is the difference between a team with a loyal fanbase and a top program (as you so wonderfully illustrated by choosing to define your list of top teams by their tradition of winning)...

Archived