Urgent help needed! Por favor!

funkrockfreedomfighter

• Members

To make a long story short, my family is under a ton of stress (especially my dad) and his computer isn't working. I'm trying to get the home DSL working on a spare laptop so he can do his job, but it isn't working on the laptop. I get a message saying there is limited or no activity on the network plug. Help? I have an Alcatel DSL speed touch home modem. The internet was working fine last night on my PC, but the PC is a whole other issue...

So I'm am asking how to get my DSL working on an older laptop. I don't know where the software is for the modem or whatever, but I can leech a neighbors wireless from my personal laptop, so getting software is temporarily possible.

• Members

This is gonna sound simple, but have you rebooted everything? Modem, router, and PCs? shut down and unplug everything, wait 5 minutes, restart everything (modem, router, then PCs).

I have had my broadband router get all wonky and sometimes a restart of all components does the trick.

• Members

DSL doesn't dial up but it still needs a username and password for the connection. It's called a PPPoE or "Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet".

On newer modems, the modem has a router built in and can make that connection for itself, passing on straight networking to the PC. I believe your modem is older and needs the PC to make the PPPoE connection THROUGH the modem.

If you have Win 95, 98 or M.E., you'll need to install PPPoE software.

I'm assuming the laptop has XP on it. I would:

Go into the control panel and open "Network Connections".

Click "Create A New connection" in the upper left.

Click NEXT

Choose CONNECT TO THE INTERNET and click NEXT

Choose SET UP MY CONNECTION MANUALLY and click NEXT

Choose CONNECT USING BROADBAND THAT REQUIRES USERNAME AND PASSWORD and click NEXT

Put in a name for the connection (like DSL) and click NEXT

Put in the username and password supplied to you by the DSL provider for the connection and click NEXT

Check off the ADD A SHORTCUT..... checkbox and click FINISH

Go to the desktop and run the new shortcut and see how it goes.

Let me know if this straightens you out.

Archived