Allright the SB2 E string won't intonate and sounds poopy!

willsellout

• Members

Yeah so no matter which way I move the saddles it is flat. Not sure what's going on there and when I play in the upper register on the E string it sounds as if it's kind of chorused..but out of tune. I tried the intonation and it doesn't work..I lowered the PU's and that didn't do anything either. Anyone have any idea whats going on here?

Dan

• Members

...and when I play in the upper register on the E string it sounds as if it's kind of chorused..but out of tune. I tried the intonation and it doesn't work..I lowered the PU's and that didn't do anything either. Anyone have any idea whats going on here?

Dan

That is the exact description of a problem I have with my Explorer B string. Thing's I've found to help are it might be a twisted string, or simply a bad string. Personally I doubt that is the cause, as I've had strings I know I wound with a twist that didn't make such an obvious problem, and winding a new string properly didn't solve anything. Pickup magnet strength can cause the chorusing out of tune harmonics, but you say backing the pups down didn't help, probably not the real cause. The thing that made the most difference in my bass was the bridge. If I had the action high, my bridge had very little distance from the ball end to the saddle point, and that caused a big angle in that thick string that it just didn't like. I could even see that the string was bending over the saddle out into the playable length, and was not a straight pull from the nut to the bridge saddle. Shimming the neck so I could get the saddle as low as possible reduced that angle and did a lot to help get rid of the chorusing. Not sure if any of that will help your bass, but for the same problem it did a lot for mine.

• Members

Sounds like a string issue too me not a bass issue, try re-installing the string or change it out with a new one.........then try to remember where you had all your saddle heights adjusted too;)

Yeah thanks for everyones input. I recently did the fret leveling and setup and this is probably when I twisted the string. Hopefully that fixes the problem.

Dan

Archived