are macs overrated?

jonathan_matos5

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Im a music major and will be using it for composing and recording and of course HCBF:p

Then it's no contest. Every piece of music software I've ever tried has worked better on a Mac than on a PC running Windows. No contest.

Emre

• Members

Find out if the IT dept. at your school supports Macs. The college I work at will stop supporting students with Macs in January. It's BS, but that's what they are doing. This might influence your decision. I don't use Macs anymore at all, but they far superior than PCs IMHO on many levels. At work right now, I don't have a choice, so...

• Members

Buy a mac. They cure cancar and can prepare food in half the time of a microwave. They can produce stem cells at the same time as they feed the poor for pennies a day. They perform miracles and grant wishes, crapping out daisies and rainbows all along the way. You must buy one because if you do, your life can never be better and if you buy a PC you life will be rotten until you die an early painful death because of it.

[sarcasm off]

• Members

I've been a PC person all my life. hell, I was the most anti-mac person in my school.

when my Toshiba laptop crashed, I bought a Macbook because the quick startup was convenient for school. I'm never going back. The Macbook is easier to use, faster, and is less prone to crashing.

• Members

Find out if the IT dept. at your school supports Macs. The college I work at will stop supporting students with Macs in January. It's BS, but that's what they are doing. This might influence your decision. I don't use Macs anymore at all, but they far superior than PCs IMHO on many levels. At work right now, I don't have a choice, so...

My school's IT department only supports the computers owned by the school so that doesnt matter

• Members

Don't get a mac. Get a PC without an operating system, then install a linux-based operating system (like Ubuntu) and you'll have the usability of the mac, with the support base of a PC, without the cost of a mac.

You and your Ubuntu. :p

But really, I agree with him.

• Members

Don't get a mac. Get a PC without an operating system, then install a linux-based operating system (like Ubuntu) and you'll have the usability of the mac, with the support base of a PC, without the cost of a mac.

What kind of recording and music software is there for Ubuntu? Can you get Logic, ProTools, etc?

Emre

• Members

i use ubuntu, and while it's a lot better than previous linux distributions, it's far from useable on an average user level. in order to get my sound card to work, i had to compile the drivers into the kernel. that may not be a big deal for computer guys, but it is for me, and it's an even bigger deal for most people.

the support isn't there for non-enthusiasts. i know that's not ubuntu's fault, but it is ubuntu's fact.

i'd suggest getting a mac. if the idea getting a mac makes sense to you, it's probably the best computer for what you're trying to accomplish.

robb.

• Members

i use ubuntu, and while it's a lot better than previous linux distributions, it's far from useable on an average user level. in order to get my sound card to work, i had to compile the drivers into the kernel. that may not be a big deal for computer guys, but it is for me, and it's an even bigger deal for most people.

You don't have to compile them into the kernel. You can compile them against the kernel and load them as modules. Still not for the faint of heart but easier than building kernels.

• Members

You don't have to compile them into the kernel. You can compile them against the kernel and load them as modules. Still not for the faint of heart but easier than building kernels.

Plus, you can get onto the Ubuntu forums, and most of the guys there can walk you through JUST about everything. Seriously. You think audio drivers were hard...try Nvidia drivers.........

Archived