stupid college

jonathan_matos5

• Members

i just got a letter in the mail from my college's financial aid office telling me that they received authorization to send me my financial aid money and that ill be getting the check in about a week and a half. in the same time they sent me this letter they could have sent me he FRICKEN money and i could have spent it on useful stuff :mad: why do they hate efficiency ?:mad:

• Members

i just got a letter in the mail from my college's financial aid office telling me that they received authorization to send me my financial aid money and that ill be getting the check in about a week and a half. in the same time they sent me this letter they could have sent me he FRICKEN money and i could have spent it on useful stuff
:mad:
why do they hate efficiency ?
:mad:

Bureaucracy breeds bull{censored}, man, that's all.

• Members

its this kind of BS that causes students to snap and start shooting faculty. lucky for them i cant afford a gun until i get the check and when i get the check i wont be mad anymore.
:blah:

WTF?

As one known to chastise a few incompetent accounting department employees in higher education, I never, ever confused them with the faculty...

Death threats to either, even in jest, are really poor form and not particularly funny after VT.

• Members

WTF?

As one known to chastise a few incompetent accounting department employees in higher education, I never, ever confused them with the faculty...

Death threats to either, even in jest, are really poor form and not particularly funny after VT.

They weren't particularly funny after Columbine. Or before, actually, either.

Not to downplay the horror of VT, but it's one of a long line of cases. Not recognizing it as part of a pattern means not being able to address the true causes.

• Members

They weren't particularly funny after Columbine. Or before, actually, either.

Not to downplay the horror of VT, but it's one of a long line of cases. Not recognizing it as part of a pattern means not being able to address the true causes.

Because outcast youth high schoolers who felt bullied and excluded share common cause with a mentally ill foreign student? :confused:

• Members

Because outcast youth high schoolers who felt bullied and excluded share common cause with a mentally ill foreign student?
:confused:

You don't think there's a common theme of alienation and feeling outcast? In my opinion, pretty much anyone and everyone who shoots up a school is mentally ill, whether foreign or homegrown.

• Members

You don't think there's a common theme of alienation and feeling outcast? In my opinion, pretty much anyone and everyone who shoots up a school is mentally ill, whether foreign or homegrown.

But the situations aren't equivalent.

The Columbine shooters felt like outcasts because of the way other adolescents treated them.

The VaTech shooter felt like an outcast because he had a diagnosed history of mental illness.

You're looking at "feeling like an outcast" as if it's the whole cause, but it's not the same thing if it comes from vastly different places. No "solution" for the Columbine shooting would be effective in the VaTech case because the ultimate causes were vastly different, even if the immediate causes were similar.

It's like a coroner's cause of death. Someone who has chronic lung disease may die from asphyxiation. Someone else who gets strangled and murdered will also die from asphyxiation. Did they die of the same immediate cause? Yes. Did they die of the "same cause" in general, of course not.

• Members

So, then, you seem to know that the VaTech shooter's problems were in no way due to how he was treated by others in his age group, and that the Columbine boys were not mentally ill due at least partially to the way they were treated by their peers? I see more similarities than differences, here.

• Members

So, then, you seem to know that the VaTech shooter's problems were in no way due to how he was treated by others in his age group

His age group? You mean "adults"?

He was 23, this wasn't a 15 year old Junior in High School, and his behavioral problems all came after the development of his mental illnesses.

and that the Columbine boys were not mentally ill due at least partially to the way they were treated by their peers?

Other people don't "make" someone mentally ill. You don't have breaks with reality because someone knocked your lunch on the floor and laughed at you in gym class.

It's not a persecution complex if you're actually being treated in the way you perceive...

I see more similarities than differences, here.

And that's just it, you see, just like I see...Neither means we're correct...

The facts however are that Cho didn't exhibit behavioral issues until after his psychiatric diagnoses, and that the Columbine shooters had no previously diagnosed mental illness and their behavioral issues have been linked (both before and after their deaths) to their relationships with other students.

I'm referring to known properties, I don't "seem to know" anything. You're the one bringing in Cho's relationship with other students as a cause for his mental illness and you're the one speculating on the Columbine shooters having some mental illness when none was ever diagnosed...

Don't try to pass off a subtly phrased argument from ignorance as a legitimate rebuttal (i.e., the fact I can't say for certain there was no mental illness at columbine doesn't provide you with any evidence there was, the fact is none was ever diagnosed...the reverse is true for Cho...If you want to speculate on the connections you're making, you're welcome, but there is no direct evidence to support them)...

Whatever your opinion is, fine, but don't chastise anyone for "not recognizing" what you think are the "true causes"...

Perhaps you're just as much obfuscating the "true causes" by lumping substantively different events together in your conception...

And before you say I'm doing the same thing, I'm not. I don't know the true causes, and I've never claimed I do. What I have claimed is that you don't know and that your evidence is lacking (to the point of being absent).

• Members

I went to Bowling Green State Univ. It was so bad they told a guy I knew he needed to go to summer school to graduate. He postponed his wedding, got an apartment and started summer school. Two weeks later his diploma arrived at his parents house! He sued the school and got back every penny he ever gave them.

Archived