Hey Chicago peeps...

bassman1956

• Members

This is an official call for help here, for this weekend ...

Last weekend's efforts got squashed major by the weather.

I'm trying to get at least a few people to help me paint, de-carpet, clean, etc, my place to move in this weekend. I'll be putting in a lot of effort:

Some prep effort friday evening, probably just me unless someone volunteers. Real work effort I'm planning for from 10AM on saturday, and also sunday if I have the help and/or need. I'll provide food and drink.

I am hoping one or two locals from HCBF may be able to volunteer for at least 4 or 5 hours. Anyone? This is a large endeavor for me, especially considering my current physical limits, and also because therapy 4 times a week is eating up 4 otherwise available evenings. I have a call out to others also. Just before Christmas is not really a good time to ask friends help you move in. :p

Anyone got a few hours for charity? Sorry it's not a bass function... yet. But it's headed that way eventually!

• Members

If I showed up and helped you work on your house when my own home needs new carpet, a deep cleaning and repainting (inside and out), I'd likely be divorced. My wife is VERY understanding but even she wouldn't understand that.

How about paying some high school/college kids $10 an hour? Ultimately, when I start work on my house I will likely do this.

• Members

What?

:(

No one?

:cry:

;)

Yeah, busy time of year for most! Ordered my carpet today, so I need to get the hall areas painted, and the old carpets ripped up, both this weekend or so. What I don't get done by sunday has to wait until next weekend, pretty much. And they're talking like my carpet will most likely be in by then. Cool beans! But so much to do!

• Members

Woah!

Where's this come from Jeff??

How many of the YFC events have I been to?

You think I PLANNED for an asshole to drive around a corner directly into me, so I can deal with having a screwed up arm, neck, and back? That I planned to spend $15k on a replacement car and medical bills that, although I'll get them back, it could be years? That I'd schedule something so limiting, disabling, and time-consuming to happen just after I put in an offer on a house and screw up my move?

And with all of this, that I'm then going to drop another $3 to5k on painting, in addition to planned expense of supplies and carpet, and postponing the electric 'cuz I don't have enough time or moneyt?

And what the hell dioid I ever do to you to deserve this kind of response?

I have no family in the area, and few friends. I wasn't asking for tons of work from anyone, just hoping I coud cajole one or two people into giving a hand.

Jeff,

What the HELL did I ever due to you to be written off so quickly and callousedly?

WHAT?

What did I do?

• Members

In your original post, you asked some of us local folks to come help you work on your home. I responded that I'm pretty certain my wife wouldn't understand my coming up to your place to work on your home when ours is in need of similar work though I haven't broached the subject yet. I then suggesting hiring a couple of college kids to help you. To hire a couple (you asked for one or two of us) of kids for 5 hours each would cost you about $100.

When you made your second plea...after quite a few of us (mostly regulars) said we couldn't do it (other than Kindness), I suggested again that you hire someone. I even said in my original post that I'm likely going to do the same thing. I don't see my posts as callous. I thought I was offering a solid suggestion since it's doesn't seem that you're able to get anyone for this coming weekend.

You responded by saying that I (we) should hire someone next time you have a GTG at your place. I'm not sure exactly what you meant by your post, thus I said "if your post suggests...". If I was wrong in my interpretation, just say so and clarify where I misunderstood what you said.

• Members

If your post suggests I'm not welcome at a GTG at your home because I won't come and help you paint it, so be it.

I believe Karl was joking, and I'm not seeing how you got that out of his post.

I'd help, but I can't make the drive due to time and money constraints.

I'd put out an ad on the Chicago CL and see what comes of it.

• Members

I believe Karl was joking, and I'm not seeing how you got that out of his post.

I'd help, but I can't make the drive due to time and money constraints.

I'd put out an ad on the Chicago CL and see what comes of it.

+1

I think that's what happened as well.

And I can't make it for the same reason.....plus, I have a show Saturday, and my b-day is Sunday...sorry Karl...

• Members

Look,

I'm getting mowed over by life right now.

And that's before you count in 2 months of pain and discomfort, that never leaves, and is only ever less or more, the likes of which I was finally rid of.

There's a lot of work. And I don't have access to a pool of trustable strangers I can hire for cheap.

I never have a problem pitching in to help a friend when I can, and in return, I didn't think this would be a bad place to ask if a friend or two could help.

I figured it would be nice if I could get a few friends to help out some.

Sorry. Clearly I figured wrong.

• Members

I figured it would be nice if I could get a few friends to help out some.

Sorry. Clearly I figured wrong.

As many have said, it's a bad time of year for them. It's also short notice for me (regardless of the potential issue with my wife). I've got family/work stuff this weekend (my daughter is in an all-day pom's competition at the University of St. Francis on Saturday; I have a gig on Saturday night; I've got a crap ton of papers/exams to grade on Sunday as well as write my finals).

I never said I wouldn't help though (and Kindness has already agree to help the following weekend), so maybe you aren't wrong.

• Members

Sorry Jeff, but I still see this response as intentionally and unneccessarily bitter. Just uncalled for in my opinion.

It was simply a case of poor judgment, Karl. Mistakes happen. Let's get past it. I think we're all under a higher degree of stress than usual, so let's all try to be aware of that.

We'll do what we can to help. We simply need to figure out, individually, how to fit it in...and we will. I hope you understand. We all think a great deal of you.

I'll be out of town on biddness this weekend, and we have to get downtown Chi-town b4 Christmas. Hopefully, I'll be able to get down next Sat. Like others have said, it's just a tough time of the year. Bad timing. :(

Archived