Is this a bad amp purchasing strategy?

phaeton

• Members

Tell me if this sounds like crazysauce:

Suppose I read some acclaim about the Mesa M-Pulse 300 and 600 here on HC forums. Suppose I read a bunch of reviews on HC Reviews about them. Seems like most of the people that really like theirs play the same kinds of music I'm into, and the features of the amp sound like what I want. However, I've never heard one, and I don't know where I could find one to play it.

Suppose I buy one used on eBay or Craigslist for average market price- sound unheard.

Suppose I play it for a week, a month or a year to really get to know it.

If it turns out that I don't really like it, I can probably sell it for about what I bought it for, assuming it was in good cosmetic and working order, right?

This won't work with cheap gear, i know, but decent stuff doesn't depreciate much after the second time on the choppingblock, right? right?

• Members

Yes...that would work fine. With Mesa stuff especially. It holds it's value pretty damn well. I'd like to add...I'm sure you'll like it though! So I wouldn't worry too much...

1) You are a Mesa Fanboi

2) You also once said that the M-Pulse distortion is crapola vs. the Big Block distortion

3) :D

• Members

1) You are a Mesa Fanboi

2) You also once said that the M-Pulse distortion is crapola vs. the Big Block distortion

3)
:D

Yes...I am a Mesa fan! I'm not too fond of any Mesa distortion anymore...but I think the M-Pulse has a better EQ to my purposes. I think it's a more versatile head...and more powerful for practical uses.

• Members

I would say, depends about gear:

For example, i bought on Thomann website my GK 400RB115 for 959 euros three years ago. Two years after, price felt down to 700 euros. So i couldn't have sold it 700 euros two years after, even if it was in mint condition; cause you can have the same new for the price...

So depends on price "new" about gear you're after...

• Members

That's my purchasing strategy for anything. That's how I can justify buying like 3-4 basses at a time borrowing from my credit line. "Eh, if I really need the money I can just flip it for at least what I sold it for" :D

• Members

I picked up my GBE750 and Neo212 cab based solely on HCBF feedback. I had never seen or heard one before it brought to practice for the first time.

I did that with my GBE-600 and it was a great move that's converted me to GB probably for life.

Otherwise with most gear purchases I will factor in resale value in case I end up not liking it. I don't mind buying used one bit.

• Members

I will be honest. I worked for a Mesa dealer before. Great stuff, but the mids on their amps were not my cup of tea. I personally like Trace Elliot, Nemisis, Eden, and some of the Ampeg stuff better.

Mesa's have warmth, but something about the mids on them were not my thing.

There again I I didn't find a GB I liked until the other week. I always thought they were kinda harsh, and the cooling fans were too loud.

Yet, I am warming up too them.

• Members

Yes...I am a Mesa fan! I'm not too fond of any Mesa distortion anymore...but I think the M-Pulse has a better EQ to my purposes. I think it's a more versatile head...and more powerful for practical uses.

Btw, what don't you like about the Mesa distortion? In fact, plz tell me a bit about its distortion capabilities.

IMHO, distortion on a bass guitar gets raspy real quick. I intend to use just a super-light touch with it. Just enough to give it texture on the attack of the note, then invisibly fade to cleanliness, if you know what I mean. The only way to do this right *is* with vacuum tubes, so the tube pre is one of the (many) features about the M-Pulse that I am interested in.

That and it is purportedly versatile. The reviews I read for the SVT3Pro all go like "it's an OUTSTANDING rock amp, but it's a one-trick pony in that regard. One really good sound, but that's it"

• Members

Yes...that would work fine. With Mesa stuff especially. It holds it's value pretty damn well. I'd like to add...I'm sure you'll like it though! So I wouldn't worry too much...

Listen to this man. He knows what he's talking about.

The 600 is a great amp.

Yo.

• Members

Btw, what don't you like about the Mesa distortion? In fact, plz tell me a bit about its distortion capabilities.

IMHO, distortion on a bass guitar gets raspy real quick. I intend to use just a super-light touch with it. Just enough to give it texture on the attack of the note, then invisibly fade to cleanliness, if you know what I mean. The only way to do this right *is* with vacuum tubes, so the tube pre is one of the (many) features about the M-Pulse that I am interested in.

Well, I think it does what you describe very well. But to me thats just a little grit. That always part of my tone. When I'm talking distortion, I want something that's very distorted...and I don't think they do that too well. It sounds good, just not my cup o tea. I would add a distortion pedal like a Tone Bender or a SA GT2 for distortion...

• Members

That and it is purportedly versatile. The reviews I read for the SVT3Pro all go like "it's an OUTSTANDING rock amp, but it's a one-trick pony in that regard. One really good sound, but that's it"

I've owned/own both of these amps.

The Big Block kicks the 600's ass in the distortion department.

The 600 kicks the BB's ass in the EQ department.

If you want just a touch of grit, the 600 will do you well. If you want nasty distortion it won't do it.

The EQ has two "channels" which are foot switchable. Set your amp how you like it and then you can engage the other EQ section for a totally different sound. It also has a boost feature for a solo, or you can use it as a mute.

That's the brief version but if you need anymore info, let me know.

Yo.

Archived