Facebook: "stomping on users' privacy"

bassment zombie

• Members

Wired.com article here

Just one month after Facebook launched Beacon, a controversial advertising platform, the company has scaled back its plans and humbly apologized for stomping on its users' privacy.

"I'm not proud of the way we've handled this situation and I know we can do better," wrote Mark Zuckerberg, the 24-year-old founder and CEO of Facebook, in a blog post.

It's been an extremely challenging month for the high-flying social networking site. Beacon, which was meant to revolutionize advertising by allowing users to broadcast purchases they made on outside sites to their Facebook friends, turned out to be many users' ultimate nightmare. Facebook apparently never considered that sometimes people want to keep their shopping habits to themselves.

The crux of the problem was that when users bought things on Beacon-affiliated sites (such as Fandango or Overstock.com), their friends were automatically notified of the purchase. This notification happened before the purchaser had a chance to approve it.

This isn't the first time Facebook has trampled on users' privacy. When the company rolled out its news-feeds feature in September, 2006, users were outraged that Facebook was broadcasting their updates, profile changes and new friend connections. After weeks of complaints, Facebook finally consented to offer privacy controls so individuals could control whether their activities on Facebook were made public.

Cruddy. :mad:

I rarely use any of these personal networking websites. I have a myspace account but I rarely, if ever, put any information on it or update it with anything. I registered so I can access bands' profiles, photos, etc. Perhaps this sort of thing is par for the course with these networking sites? (facebook, myspace, and friendster are the 3 I know about). If so, shame on them.

• Members

If you're seriously concerned about your privacy, why the {censored} would you have a Facebook account in the first place?

"OMG, I only wanted to show off slutty pictures of myself. I didn't want everyone to know that I bought new shoes before I had the chance to model them on my Facebook page."

• Members

If you're seriously concerned about your privacy, why the {censored} would you have a Facebook account in the first place?

"OMG, I only wanted to show off slutty pictures of myself. I didn't want everyone to know that I bought new shoes before I had the chance to model them on my Facebook page."

:lol:

In the case you provided, at least the individual was able to choose to display the slutty photos - unlike the purchases, they were made at various sites which facebook has some kind of tie-in or connection to, and without being able to choose/decide, others are notified of your purchases. Kinda ridiculous, fo'sho.

• Members

:lol:

In the case you provided, at least the individual was able to choose to display the slutty photos - unlike the purchases, they were made at various sites which facebook has some kind of tie-in or connection to, and without being able to choose/decide, others are notified of your purchases. Kinda ridiculous, fo'sho.

I'm not sure I understand why I'd tie all of my internet activity together like that.

I'm to old to "get" facebook, but the concerns about privacy are kind of stupid when people are joining networking sites left and right to be epopular.

I have a special account setup that I use for buying presents for BOALG's Mother. That way no one ever sees the {censored}ed up {censored} that I buy.

• Members

I have a special account setup that I use for buying presents for BOALG's Mother. That way no one ever sees the {censored}ed up {censored} that I buy.

But. In that instance I'd think we'd all like to see what you buy. Out of sheer curiousity.

Does it have something to do with products related to Uranium?

• CMS Author

As far as you know. I keep telling her to put it away when I'm there, but no, she leaves the 24v hammer drill out on the nitestand for all to see:mad:

• Members

The individual was able to choose in both cases. The program at issue was an addon application which users aren't, by any means, required to use. They kind of ignore that in the article. And while I do see it as a bad idea, part of me wonders . . . if you don't like how an
optional
app works, why use it
:confused:

I had no idea. I don't ever use or visit facebook, so I was just going by what they article says. Sounds like there was plenty of 'stupid' to go around in this case :freak:

• Members

I've actually never tried Facebook, or had a need to try it out.

I made a new MySpace the other day. Since my old one was sorta.... Being murdered with spam.

I hardly use it really..

But I think with sites like that, it's all the User.. If the User is posting nuddee photos, they shouldn't complain about violation of their privacy.

Doofuses.

• Members

Ya, well money isn't the only benchmark of whether or not something is stupid.

You can sell an idiot a lot of things.

I agree wholeheartedly. And while I understand the phrase "south of fail" can be used to mean stupid, I was responding to the literal meaning.

• Members

I agree wholeheartedly. And while I understand the phrase "south of fail" can be used to mean stupid, I was responding to the literal meaning.

Back story:

In Portland here, in the late summer, early fall, there is a street fair called the Mississippi St Fair.

Now, on the way there, I called my friend on his cell phone and asked him where he was. His reply was as follows.

"I'm not sure. I'm south of failing."

I said, "you sure are."

He said no.. south of Failing

Ever since, it just was a euphemism ... hehe

Archived