Guttermouth to the tucked and rolled courtesy phone

chunky-b

• Members

I went in a local music store at lunch today and what to my wondering eyes should appear but a Kustom rig in black tuck and rolled goodness...

Someone had traded it in. The covering looked to be in great shape. The only wear I saw was the side handles which were rusty. All knobs and jacks were there. I casually asked what they wanted for it out of curiousity, knowing i had not bought my kids Christmas yet, and the guy said "I think they want $800 or $850...

Should have asked to play it and taken pictures!!! :lol:

• Members

I went in a local music store at lunch today and what to my wondering eyes should appear but a Kustom rig in black tuck and rolled goodness...

Someone had traded it in. The covering looked to be in great shape. The only wear I saw was the side handles which were rusty. All knobs and jacks were there. I casually asked what they wanted for it out of curiousity, knowing i had not bought my kids Christmas yet, and the guy said "I think they want $800 or $850...

Should have asked to play it and taken pictures!!!
:lol:

PFFFFT!!!!!

you should have slapped him in the face when he said 850.00 and said

"now that i've knocked some sense back into you -whaddya want for it?". "i've got 150 bucks in my pocket you can have IF you'll load it into the car for me" .

seriously though - that's waaaaaay too much money for any black kustom regardless of model.

and, yes, you should have played it and taken pics :)

• Members

Check out this little offereing.

http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/492825349.html

cascades are cool. it's always funny to see people think they have something exceptionally clean when in reality, if you think about, it's like having an amp always wrapped in 2 inches of bubble wrap.you'd have to set it on fire or throw it out of a moving vehicle to damage it :)

• Members

When I was 16 . . back in "73", before I played, I roadied for a band that the bass player had one of these. I thought it was so cool.

Not cool enough to buy though. My first amp was an Acoustic 371.

oh yeah -they're badass. but, if you don't mind about cosmetics -the blacks sound the same as all the other colors and people can't give them away.you can pick up a good condition black k200 with matching cab for 150.00 - 200.00 all day long and they sound awesome.

then again, i'm a bit biased :)

k150.jpg

k100s.jpg

ebokustom.jpg

• Members

PFFFFT!!!!!

you should have slapped him in the face when he said 850.00 and said

"now that i've knocked some sense back into you -whaddya want for it?". "i've got 150 bucks in my pocket you can have IF you'll load it into the car for me" .

seriously though - that's waaaaaay too much money for any black kustom regardless of model.

and, yes, you should have played it and taken pics
:)

I may go back and find out more, take pictures, etc. If I can get one, even a black one, for $200, I may jump at it. But $800, unrestored... Sounded kind of high to me, too... I've been wanting something a little bigger than my little Peavey combo, but didn't want to sink too much into it since I am not currently gigging... I think they just look cool. Even in black.

last night we went to a fifties diner that has bright red metallic flake upholstery on the booths. Got me to thinking what a Kustom rig in that red material would look like. :lol:

• Members

I sure like the Cascade Green color...almost as much as the gold. Jesus Guttermouth, now you got me jonesin' for one. You sure can't beat how they're made and when you take into consideration that the great James Jamerson played one out for the last half of his carreer it's gotta have some mojo baby, yeah!

• Members

I may go back and find out more, take pictures, etc. If I can get one, even a black one, for $200, I may jump at it. But $800, unrestored... Sounded kind of high to me, too... I've been wanting something a little bigger than my little Peavey combo, but didn't want to sink too much into it since I am not currently gigging... I think they just look cool. Even in black.

last night we went to a fifties diner that has bright red metallic flake upholstery on the booths. Got me to thinking what a Kustom rig in that red material would look like.
:lol:

sounds like a plan mang!

go back and play through it when you get a chance and if you like we 'll find you one cheap :). i run across them fairly regularly and all those ^ i picked up for 225.00 or less.

kustom made a red color - it's pretty sought after and they bring quite a bit of money when you see them but, they are freaking awesome looking.if i ever run across a red k200b with a 215 it will be mine :)

kusduo.jpg

and here's a red kustom organ :

Kustom%20Kombo%207a.jpg

Kustom%20Kombo%207b.jpg

• Members

I sure like the Cascade Green color...almost as much as the gold. Jesus Guttermouth, now you got me jonesin' for one. You sure can't beat how they're made and when you take into consideration that the great James Jamerson played one out for the last half of his carreer it's gotta have some mojo baby, yeah!

hahaha.

sorry man -didn't mean to be a gas inducer :)

the tucknrolls are well built amps with quality components. the sound isn't for everyone but, if you like that tubey,edge of breakup sound they're awesome :thu:

• Members

I had one identical to that cascade one - I put a pair of Altec 421As in it and it held its own in my high school band where one of the guitarists had a twin with a showman cab and the other had Baldwin exterminator.

hey man!

haven't seen you around lately. i finally found myself one of those danelectro centurions a couple of weeks back and have been playing the hell out of it.what a great amp :thu:

• Members

hey man!

haven't seen you around lately. i finally found myself one of those danelectro centurions a couple of weeks back and have been playing the hell out of it.what a great amp
:thu:

Cool - did you get a decent deal on it? They're kind of under the radar, which is a good thing.

mine needs a little attention...one of the channels is kind of weak and scratchy. I think it still has all original tubes in it.

• Members

Cool - did you get a decent deal on it? They're kind of under the radar, which is a good thing.

mine needs a little attention...one of the channels is kind of weak and scratchy. I think it still has all original tubes in it.

yeah i got a pretty good deal ( extra set of n.o.s.tubes, original jensen) but it has some replaced knobs and is missing the tube cage for 325 shipped. i've been looking for one for a couple of years now and the prices on them just seems to fluctuate wildly.

btw - you don't have an extra tube cage for one do you :) :poke:

it's a pretty simple little circuit.i'm betting one of those weirdo tubes or a cap is going.i've got the schematic for it if you need to take it in - just pm your email addy if you need it.

• Members

it's a pretty simple little circuit.i'm betting one of those weirdo tubes or a cap is going.i've got the schematic for it if you need to take it in - just pm your email addy if you need it.

Sorry...only one cage and I'm using it. :cop:

The schematic would come in handy I'm sure - thanks!

• Members

Sorry...only one cage and I'm using it.
:cop:

The schematic would come in handy I'm sure - thanks!

yeah, yeah, one cage and i'm using it blah blah blah..... that's what they all say:rolleyes:

i'll get that schematic sent over this afternoon -it's on the other pc. :thu:

• Members

sounds like a plan mang!

go back and play through it when you get a chance and if you like we 'll find you one cheap
. i run across them fairly regularly and all those ^ i picked up for 225.00 or less.

kustom made a red color - it's pretty sought after and they bring quite a bit of money when you see them but, they are freaking awesome looking.if i ever run across a red k200b with a 215 it will be mine

kusduo.jpg

and here's a red kustom organ :

Kustom%20Kombo%207a.jpg

Kustom%20Kombo%207b.jpg

Oooh, that organ looks just dreamy. :love:

I think that the red is possibly the best color I've seen yet. Either that or gold. :love: :love:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Guttermouth: I finally went back to get more info on the Black Kustom I found in the local store... Amp says it is a 745PA...

SMALL PIC:

kustom-s.jpg

LINK to LARGE PIC:

Large Pic

I asked again what they wanted for it... Guy at counter said, "I think the dude wants like a grand or something." (And they wonder why GC is stealing their business!)

They also had a VERY rough Ric 4001 they got in and wanted over a grand for it. This place is known for not discounting prices on anything. Not sure how they stay in business.

• Members

Guttermouth: I finally went back to get more info on the Black Kustom I found in the local store... Amp says it is a 745PA...

I asked again what they wanted for it... Guy at counter said, "I think the dude wants like a grand or something." (And they wonder why GC is stealing their business!)

They also had a VERY rough Ric 4001 they got in and wanted over a grand for it. This place is known for not discounting prices on anything. Not sure how they stay in business.

aaaah,

that's a cool one - it's a mid 60's frankenstein bass amp.not worth anywhere near a grand though.the colored version of that head would bring maybe 250.00

actually :

http://cgi.ebay.com/KUSTOM-745PA-VINTAGE-BASS-AMPLIFIER-HEAD-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ150191742369QQihZ005QQcategoryZ119022QQcmdZViewItem

there's a blue that ended at 225.00.

i'd offer 'em 400.00 tops for the whole setup.it's a shame they want soo much for it - those are great sounding amps.

Archived