Guitar through bass amp?

lowndown

• Members

I'm a bass player though I'm thinking about messing about with some guitar for recording, but not sure if I need to get a guitar amp or if it's ok to run through a 210 bass amp?

Does anyone do this? Does playing guitar through a 210 bass amp screw with high's or can a 210 handle the high notes?

• Members

If there's a horn in the cab, it shouldn't be much of a problem. They can sound quite good actually. You can usually get a very deep and full tone from a bass rig with horns.

If not, try it anyway before you spend money on more gear. Unless of course, you're a gear whore. Then just go buy a guitar amp. ;)

• Members

Perfectly fine and acceptable.

Don't ever
do it the other way around though. A bass will blow up a guitar amp's speakers, as it is not designed to reproduce the lower frequencies like a bass amp/cab is...

It is perfectly fine to play a bass thru a guitar amp head as long as it is driven with a woofer, however... you'll a preamp with that:D

• Members

Don't ever
do it the other way around though. A bass will blow up a guitar amp's speakers, as it is not designed to reproduce the lower frequencies like a bass amp/cab is...

Partially correct, but it depends on the guitar rig. I know of several bassists who play through guitar rigs without ever having any problems.

Guitar through bass amps should work, but the sound might not be the best suited for guitar. It doesn't hurt to try.

• Members

I've done my share of experimenting, and I found out the guitar can sound very nice through a bass rig when played clean. It gives you nice fatty jazzy tone, especially if you have a mahogany instrument, or a semi-hollow guitar. However, if you add a little dirt on the guitar, I think the sound becomes crap whether there's a horn or not.

Archived