So I asked my 6-year old what he wants for Xmas...

Hearafter

• Members

#1, Isn't a French horn just a small tuba? A 'Tubette' as Rowka put it.

No. Entirely different.

#2, who even plays tubas? The fat nerd in the marching band, that's who.

:mad:

#3, I'm not renting something that little Carly Coldsore has been slobbering all over.

Most music stores worth their salt disinfect their rental instruments between leases.

Thanks, though.

That said, as a former tuba player, I doubt your son will be able to handle a tuba at his age-the lung capacity required may be too great for him at this point. Trumpet might be a better choice for him if he wants to get into brass instruments.

Don't buy anything from Wal-Mart should you go the brass route.

And quit hating on tubists.

• Members

Why are you so dead-set against Tubas? As somebody in a Bass forum I would think that you might appreciate the Tuba's role in a band. Now I own a Tuba, and it's expensive as all get-out. I'm not arguing with you and saying that you should buy one for your kid, but lay off the Tuba hate.

Lighten up, Francis.

I dont hate tubas... just the nerds that play 'em. I kid, I kid... I appreciate every instrument. Symphonies especially. I really just dont see the practicality of buying a 6 year old a tuba, when he's never even seen one for real. Trust me, I plan on letting him try everything out eventually. So far he has drums, an acoustic guitar, a keyboard, a small xylophone, and a harmonica. He also plays our piano and my bass.

The entire point of this thread was to find a decent electric guitar/amp combo that fits him.

• Members
#1, Isn't a French horn just a small tuba? A 'Tubette' as Rowka put it.

#2, who even plays tubas? The fat nerd in the marching band, that's who.

#3, I'm not renting something that little Carly Coldsore has been slobbering all over.

No, French Horn is not a small tuba.

I played tuba for about four years. I was pretty buff, to be a nerd in marching band. Why? My instrument was forty-five pounds. I loved it. The experiences I had with tuba are rivalled only slightly by what I've experienced with bass. I still love warming up and playing classical pieces with the brass.

Clean it out. Empty the condensation valve and you'll have your own mouthpiece, surely. I never owned mine. As a matter-of-fact, I played the King model that was passed around the school system a lot due to its massiveness and unwieldy nature. Mmmm... Bb sounded like the thunder of the Gods on that thing.

Stop killing potential happiness. :p

• Members

I bought mine a ukulele.

It's inexpensive, easy to play with small hands and a lot of fun.

Also he can break it it won't be that bad and if he gets bored it won't be a big loss.

He's got an acoustic 1/2 size.. it's been used as a baseball bat, a kitty cat bat, and a trampoline. Still plays decently, though.

I try and try to teach him to respect musical instruments, but alas... it seems to all be in vain. Hence the idea of getting him a $90 combo for now, and save the "keepers" for when he knows the value of music.

Archived