The CLAW

Bob O'Brian

• Members

Hello my bassy bretheren

During last night's gig. about an hour into a three hour show, I could feel my fretting hand starting to sieze up. There was no pain, the fingers were just threatening not to obey what I wanted them to do. The fingers just wanted to curl up weakly into some sort of dead gnarled claw. I managd to get through the gig but obviously it's a worry.

I've only ever had this once before, at the end of a gig about a month ago. It's kinda scary. Anybody else experience this and what can I do about it?

Yours worriedly,

Bob

• Members

I had this happen about a year ago. Except I kept playing thinking that I would build up stamina eventually. What I later found out is that this can become a big deal, the muscles that control your fingers do not get stronger this way. I started getting a lot of pain in my fingers and wrist of my fretting hand. There was also constant numbness.

To fix the problem I had to take it easy on my hand for about a month(NO BASS). Another thing that helps a lot is proper stretching. If you don't already do it, warm up before you play. It has helped keep me pain free for over a year.

• Members

Cheers for that. No bass though? Blimey. Given that when not in the band I teach piano, it's pretty difficult to give my hands a rest.

A strange thing, now I think about it, is that I got through the whole summer doing two 3hr gigs every Fri/Sat without any problem. It's only now that things have cooled off for winter, down to once or twice a month, that I've had any problems.

What are good exercises for warming up?

• Members

The exersises mainly invlove streching you fingers and your hands.

I start by putting my hands in front, of me palms out, middle fingers pointing at eachother. The idea is to lightly pull your fingers back towards your body.

you will feel a little pull in your forearms. There is probably a better way to explain it on the web some where. It is also used to help Carpul Tunnel Syndrome .

Try this Link

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/carpaltunnelsyndrome.html

• Members

Well, the advice here seems to be "Just tough it out."

My advice is to get this evaluated as soon as possible by a physician. In all likelihood, there's nothing to worry about here. But it sounds like you play extended sets on a semi-regular basis, so why is this an issue now?

Find out for sure. Might make a big difference.

• Members

A lot of times this is due to bad body positioning. If the bass is too low, then your fretting hand gets twisted into a pretty bad angle. Playing like that is hell on your hand and wrist tendons.

If you don't do so already, try holding the bass in a more ergonomic position (i.e., higher up across your chest with the headstock pointed up quite a bit).

Emre

• Members

A lot of times this is due to bad body positioning. If the bass is too low, then your fretting hand gets twisted into a pretty bad angle. Playing like that is hell on your hand and wrist tendons.

If you don't do so already, try holding the bass in a more ergonomic position (
i.e
., higher up across your chest with the headstock pointed up quite a bit).

Emre

Hey Fishbulb,

I think hand position is definately involved. I have the strap out to full but have the bass pointing towards upright. Maybe if I post a pic instead (yes, it's a Stenie...)

PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?MemberId=4417698172&Ph

Archived