another thread to get the computer nerds arguing

jonathan_matos5

• Members

Let me put it this way.

I can get an extra gig of ram or i can get logic.

If i need the extra gig of ram to run logic then ill have to buy the ram now and the software later or i can just wait and get both later

Logic.

Apple, like most computer manufacturers, wants to make money off of sales of ram.

You can buy more ram later, for much cheaper.

• Members

i might bootcamp with xp so i can rawk with some games:D

You're not going to game on a Macbook unless you enjoy a slideshow impersonating a game. The X3100 sucks for all but the oldest "modern" games.

OS X loves RAM, and will happily chew through all that you throw at it, within reason. 4GB would be the realistic maximum I would put in any standard computer at the moment.

• Members

ill probably get the 120 gig hard drive

i get a student discount:cool:

If you're going to be recording with it, you might want to consider something larger than 120 gig.

Well, depending on how many songs you think you'll end up with.

For example, one song I've recorded (Wrapped Around your Finger).

14 tracks @ 16 bit/44Khz:

Kristal files - 905 Mb

Mixdown (.wav) - 50.8 Mb

.mp3 - 11.9 Mb (encoded at 320 Kbps)

Total disk space used for this one song - 967.7 Mbytes

• Members

You really don't need much for recording anyway. Memory is only used as a buffer for the encoder.

It becomes really useful when you're editing but even in this case you don't need a lot.

+1 to what he said...

Only recently some of my recordings started 'stuttering' during mixing/mastering. I thought it might be because I've begun using more 'sophisticated' (i.e. processor/memory intensive?) Vst plugins. Maybe my processor (2 Mhz Pent) ain't up to snuff... Maybe I need more ram (768 mbytes)?

Turns out, my problem is I need a bigger HD (I'm running out of space on my internal). It was recommended I use an external HD *dedicated* to the recording files, leave the internal (80 gig) HD for O/S & Apps.

• Members

+1 to what he said...

Only recently some of my recordings started 'stuttering' during mixing/mastering. I thought it might be because I've begun using more 'sophisticated' (i.e. processor/memory intensive?) Vst plugins. Maybe my processor (2 Mhz Pent) ain't up to snuff... Maybe I need more ram (768 mbytes)?

Turns out, my problem is I need a bigger HD (I'm running out of space on my internal). It was recommended I use an external HD *dedicated* to the recording files, leave the internal (80 gig) HD for O/S & Apps.

Stuttering is *always* a processor issue. Either the processor is waiting for data, waiting to write data or it's being overworked.

It's pretty much a lost art these days but identifying a performance bottleneck is fairly simple. On a Windows box you'd use performance monitor to track stuff like disk throughput and RAM and processor usage while you're putting the machine through its paces.

When benchmarking a computer - hell, when benchmarking anything - the component that's running at 100% capacity is *always* the bottleneck. Most modern computers are not processor-bound; the problem is generally getting the data into and out of the CPU. Newer processors wait for data faster than older ones do :D

Archived