another thread to get the computer nerds arguing

jonathan_matos5

• Members

how much ram do i need for recording stuff

i was thinking at least a gig maybe more. as mentioned in a previous thread I'm in the process of laptop shopping and putting together some recording gear too. but i don't know how much ram ill be needing.

ive decided im gonna get a macbook but should i buy the extra ram or use the money for software?:confused:

ill probably get the applecare plan thing too because ive had bad luck with pcs so better safe than sorry:thu:

• Members

Maximum Ram Allowable..

"it's better to have and not need, then to need and not have"

I have 4 gigs of Ram on my G5 and little by little I will max it out at 16 gigs !!

I'm sorry, but that's incorrect. Thanks for playing, though - we do have some lovely parting gifts for you.

Unused RAM is a wasted resource. Buying more RAM than you need just means you spend too much for your technology.

The correct amount of memory to have in a machine is the amount where the system does not page to disk under maximum load. Note that some applications (like web browsers) write to a paging file anyway, but the trick is to load up as many applications as you're ever gonna use, add the amount of RAM in use to the amount of pagefile in use, tack on half a gig or so just for fun and call it a requirement.

A 32 bit machine cannot address more than 4GB of memory. A 64 bit processor can address much more but if it's running 32 bit applications you still run into the 4GB address space limit.

• Members

ive decided im gonna get a macbook but should i buy the extra ram or use the money for software?
:confused:

I've got 1G of RAM on my MacBook. It's enough to record my bass smoothly using Logic 7 and my Bass PODxt. However, more is always better! If I start running a bunch of plug-ins, I get noticeable latency. Of course, that's as much a factor of your processor speed and HDD speed as your RAM. But I'm sure I would be able to record a bit more smoothly with twice the RAM.

Also, I wouldn't spend too much money on a larger hard disk. My MacBook has a pretty small HDD (just 120G). I think you can upgrade to 160G for something like $200 ... which is just ridiculously overpriced! A couple of hundred bucks will buy you a pretty big external HDD. Besides, MacBook HDD's are on the slow side.

Emre

• Members

I'm sorry, but that's incorrect. Thanks for playing, though - we do have some lovely parting gifts for you.

Unused RAM is a wasted resource. Buying more RAM than you need just means you spend too much for your technology.

The correct amount of memory to have in a machine is the amount where the system does not page to disk under maximum load. Note that some applications (like web browsers) write to a paging file anyway, but the trick is to load up as many applications as you're ever gonna use, add the amount of RAM in use to the amount of pagefile in use, tack on half a gig or so just for fun and call it a requirement.

A 32 bit machine cannot address more than 4GB of memory. A 64 bit processor can address much more but if it's running 32 bit applications you still run into the 4GB address space limit.

And even then, you won't generally be able to use all 4GB anyway, because the physical ram lives in the same address space as your memory mappings for devices. So, if you've got a lot and/or some memory intensive devices, you're able to use even less ram.

• Members

all I know and i am not a computer guy by far , but when I was running Logic with 1 gig of ram and all the plug ins that I use , i was running into trouble. This was especially true when I was using IR Reverb plug ins. Once I upgrade (1 gig to 4 gig) it ran a lot faster and smoother.

• Members

Yeah, 1 g of Ram sounds good. But the hard drive is a serious issue. I have a G4 Powerbook with 512mb of ram, and using the internal HD (5400rpm) would limit the amount of time I could record, it would also randomly stop recording. So I added a 7200rpm external firewire drive and never had any problems again.

Archived