I am thinking of moving to AZ.

psychobilly451

• Members

Get ready to shell out alotta cash and burn in the summer.

+ is its close to Calli. and no snow, EVER.

Northern is nice too.

Lived in Tucson for 21 yrs.

Only if you live in Tucson (or Tempe)...

It snowed here last night. Flagstaff was supposed to get 3' of snow. Arizona has tons of beautiful places to live, and a lot of them are inexpensive... depending on how much money you want to make.

Where you thinking about going?

• Members

how would you describe PHX?

what are the main attractions?

employment? I have construction and commercial driver experience

hunting in AZ?

renting?

1) hot:D - lots of mexicans:D overall pretty nice, but brown. its a desert after all.

2) probably the nightlife and the club scene, its pretty good. mill avenue in tempe is a major hotspot if not the best area for nightlilfe because its right next to ASU. scottsdale's nightlife is nice too:thu:

3) lots of construction jobs if that's your trade. lots of jobs, period, especially in healthcare.

4) hunting you mainly have to travel out of the city for, its mainly in the deserts outside the city and in the northern part of the state. you have to get drawn to be able to hunt.

5)you can rent anywhere, apartments or houses, especially houses now that the market has slowed.

:wave:

• Members

sounds good so far except for the hunting situation. I do like to eat a lot of venison!

well you can hunt, you just have to travel to do it. not everyone's cup of tea of course.

in NY we used to pay 5 bucks and walk out in your backyard and be back in an hour:D

• Members

I'm assuming you mean to live in a larger town or a city (as opposed to living out in the sticks). If so, you basically have three choices - Phoenix area, Tucson area, or Flagstaff.

Phoenix is a pit and a battle zone. I hate it there. Everything bad about a city (traffic, congestion, crime, sprawl, expensive, etc) with very little of the good stuff. No real nightlife to speak of, some decent restaurants but nothing worth going out of your way for. The good mountains and deserts to explore are just a bit too far out and a hassle to get to (urban sprawl). What native and Mexican culture there is is more of the sanitized, made-nice-for-white-people type. Stay away from Phoenix.

Tucson is pretty cool. Yes, it's still a big city and has the downsides but the positives are so much better. Much more culturally alive. Cool music scene, great arts community, more diversity. Still has a big college campus influence, but it's not so in-your-face-white-frat-boy as Phoenix is. KILLER Mexican restaurants - lots of em. The surrounding deserts and mountains are much better than around Phoenix, and they are super easy to access. Tons of beautiful places to explore, get lost in, and play in. It's pretty easy to live cheaply in and around Tucson. Definately a good place to check into.

One note: if you are considering central to southern Arizona, you MUST like the heat. Yes it does get hot.......really hot.......really.

Flagstaff is a different animal. First off, it's much smaller than either Phoenix or Tucson (but growing rapidly), Also, it sits at 7000 feet so it's a completely different climate. Yes it still gets hot in the summer, but winters are full on snow/cold/ice etc. Flagstaff is a great place to live if you want the amenities of a biggish town (malls, infrastructure, hospital, WalMart, etc.) but you don't want to actually live in a city. Pretty decent music & arts scene, but not spectacular. Awesome for outdoor lifestyle types - you are surrounded by great deserts, mountains, rivers, etc. with excellent mountain biking, rafting, rock climbing, hiking, horseback riding, hunting, etc, all close by. Reasonably good skiing too when/if the mountains get decent snowpack. Again, the University has a big impact on the culture of the place. Not too expensive to live there, it will accomodate pretty much all income types (from hippie backpackers to rich yuppies). Navajo culture is reasonably strong, but other than that it's maybe a bit too white. Flagstaff's biggest downside is that it's growing fast, and faster than the infrastructure can keep up with. Traffic is more congested and a hassle to deal with than should be for a town it's size (but if you get around largely by bicycle, which you can here, it's not too terribly bad). Flagstaff is pretty cool.

If you DON'T intend to live in a bigger town or city, there are lots of very cool places around the state. Some yuppie expensive, some redneck central, some artsy fartsy, some tourist areas, and some just plain ole' small town. Prescott, Sedona, Jerome, ShowLow/Pinetop, Bisbee, Payson, etc. - some good places to check out.

• Members

I lived on the Phoenix-Temp border (right near 48th and the freeway) and worked in Tempe (southern & mcclintock) back about 15 years ago. I had a blast there. Mill Avenue was great for meeting the ladies. tons of beautiful women, good night life etc. I really enjoyed the year or so I spent on a job there. Although the women, besides being very hot, are a little kooky. I think the sun bakes their brain in their bean. Psychos abound. :D

I never lived in downtown Phoenix and mostly stayed in the burbs (tempe, scottsdale, mesa, etc) but I thought it was a terrific place to live.

And yeah.....it's hot. {censored}ing hot. but only for a few months out of the year. the rest of the year (after the monsoons come thru) it's really nice. Just watch out for the snowbirds when you are driving down there.

• Members

I see tenyearsgone and I disagree about the nightlife in Phoenix. I will admit that it's been a few years since I've spent any real time there and since he lives there he probably has a better handle on it. All the rest of my post still stands though.

A note on that: I lived in Tucson for a while, and still have friends there (and in Phoenix). The two cities are about 2ish hours apart. It was (and still is, my friends tell me) not uncommon for the Phoenix people to head down to Tucson on Friday and Saturday nights just to go out to clubs/bars/etc. A similiar dynamic applies to the bands/musicians I know. Seems to me if the bar/club scene in your city sucks bad enough that you are willing to regularly drive two plus hours to another city just to "hit the town", then something is wrong.

• Members

I see tenyearsgone and I disagree about the nightlife in Phoenix. I will admit that it's been a few years since I've spent any real time there and since he lives there he probably has a better handle on it. All the rest of my post still stands though.

A note on that: I lived in Tucson for a while, and still have friends there (and in Phoenix). The two cities are about 2ish hours apart. It was (and still is, my friends tell me) not uncommon for the Phoenix people to head down to Tucson on Friday and Saturday nights just to go out to clubs/bars/etc. A similiar dynamic applies to the bands/musicians I know. Seems to me if the bar/club scene in your city sucks bad enough that you are willing to regularly drive two plus hours to
another
city just to "hit the town", then something is wrong.

I found the bar scene to be great, however the live music scene was definitely sub-par when I was there.

• Members

I just got back from Tucson last night after visiting my mom/sister. We got there Friday afternoon and it rained every single day we were there. Most days it was raining all day, but one or two it broke for a few hours. We even saw some snow fall up around the biosphere. I know it's not normally like that; I'm just venting after having a rained out trip. :mad::cool:

• Members
I found the bar scene to be great, however the live music scene was definitely sub-par when I was there.

I never lived there but I played there. I enjoyed it compared to SoCal. Here when people go to see bands, they leave when the band they want to see is done. We played a club there in Mesa and the crowd stayed all night and watched every band. It was nice. :idk:

• Members

I never lived there but I played there. I enjoyed it compared to SoCal. Here when people go to see bands, they leave when the band they want to see is done. We played a club there in Mesa and the crowd stayed all night and watched every band. It was nice.
:idk:

People are starved for live bands down there (at least they used to be when I was there). that's a big part of it. Not a lot of venues there, especially for original music.

It may be better now. Like I said, that was the early 90's.

• Members

My dad and brother lived in PHX for about a year in the mid 90's. They couldn't get out fast enough, they said that everyone was crazy, but they didn't live in a nice part of town.

My sister went to visit and came home early because she was dumb enough to walk out onto an asphalt parking lot barefoot. She didn't walk for a week.:eek:

All I know about Phoenix is the negative stuff, so don't mind me, just be ready for super dry heat. We have it here in Denver in the summer, but we get a reprieve for more than half the year. I couldn't imagine living with heat like that for most of the year...

C7

• Members

I live in Phoenix and love it except for the pollution.

The transit system leaves something to be desired. The highways are OK relative to say west or east coast cities, but the bus system and rail system is crap (rail is not even in yet).

there's good partying and nightlife type stuff in Tempe. The local music scene is very active.

there's a ton of ethnic food available for such a non-coastal city.

Downtown is very pretty and there's starting to be more and more to do.

It's hot as hades in the summer, but it's like 65 degrees out this afternoon (comfy). Winter is nice.

there is THE BASS PLACE in Scottsdale (awesome bass only store).

• Members

Big thing to keep in mind with Phoenix is that it's HUGE. there's 3 million people spread over almost the size of Los Angeles including the suburbs of both.

The burbs are mostly very nice. North phoenix is awesome if you want to live safely.

I would heartily recommend against living south of Peoria if you want to live crime free :0

• Members

People are starved for live bands down there (at least they used to be when I was there).

From where I sit that's a big plus.

Oversaturated markets like Austin, Los Angeles, Nashville... are very tough and even if you're getting by it's just not as much fun.

• Members

Big thing to keep in mind with Phoenix is that it's HUGE. there's 3 million people spread over almost the size of Los Angeles including the suburbs of both.

That sounds like it would be very uncrowded, though. There are almost 3 million in the Denver metro and it's only 40 miles from north to south, and 35 east to west.

C7

• Members

Good thing about the Phoenix Metro area is the driving conditions. As C7 said, it's really spread out, so most of the streets are nice and wide. I liked living there a million times more than Vegas, but I wouldn't want to move back.

North Phoenix, and Scottsdale would be the place to go. Up kind of out of the valley.

Loves me some Arizona, yo.

Archived