Which hyrid heads can you really overdrive?

seraphim7s

• Members

One of the main reasons I got my Ashdown (see sig) is that I was getting the benefits of an SS head (not too weighty, it's efficient etc...) with the sound of an all tube .... but in my search for good hybrid heads, not many manufacturers seemed to be going for a 'rock' market.

Given that all (?) hybrid heads seem to link a tube pre with an SS power amp, which heads can you really push into a growly rock territory?

• Members

Search harder!

Mesa and Aguilar are the first two that come to mind.

I would love to try an Aguilar!

Unfortunately very, VERY few shops stock them. Really I would have to go 200 miles to London, and even then probably only 2 or 3 boutique stores would stock Aguilar.

I think a DB750 goes for about $3500-4000 here.

• Members

I would love to try an Aguilar!

Unfortunately very, VERY few shops stock them. Really I would have to go 200 miles to London, and even then probably only 2 or 3 boutique stores would stock Aguilar.

I think a DB750 goes for about $3500-4000 here.

it might be worth looking around, seeing if anyone locally, ie manchester area has one and would be willing to let you have a test.

ive been in the same boat though, a trip to the bass centre is hard to find time for. good guys though, maybe a phone call to them could help

• Members

Not really a head, but, I've been enjoying my little Roland Cube 30 Bass amp a lot. The gain on it does pretty well at giving an overdriven tone, and I really like the Trace modeller setting with it. Granted, this is room-use, practice-amp volume. But on that alone, I'd be interested to see what Roland does in a head. As far as I know, they don't make one.

• Moderators
I disagree. My old amp (a 600) did drive a little, but my Big Block blows it away. It's the first amp that I've heard good overdrive on that isn't all tube.

Yo.

Hit the passive input with a hot signal. I've not had a problem getting any sort of dirt out of either of mine. That's with the gain at less than 12 o'clock. But OD is definitely a strong selling point of the Big Block. Yo.

• Members

Hit the passive input with a hot signal. I've not had a problem getting any sort of dirt out of either of mine. That's with the gain at less than 12 o'clock. But OD is definitely a strong selling point of the Big Block. Yo.

I hear you man. I got better results using a guitar to get a dirtied up sound. The 600 did have grit but just not enough for me.

Yo.

• Moderators
I hear you man. I got better results using a guitar to get a dirtied up sound. The 600 did have grit but just not enough for me.

Yo.

Yep. I think you nailed it right there. It really depends on what kind of OD someone is looking for. If it's "serious break up but still sounding good" that the OP is looking for, the OP definitely would want to give the Big Block a test drive.

Archived