Cold Weather training

Undead Sycip

• Members

Folks who live in winter states

What do you wear for sports activities outdoor?

I know how to layer clothing in California but my stuff is all lightweight.

Please advise brands or materials I should look for :

Shoes

Gloves

Socks

Clothes

Head and ears (my ears are especially sensitive to cold)

Outerwear

• Members

For activity in cold weather I cannot stress the importance of the layer of clothing closest to the body. NOT COTTON. Some kind of moisture wicking synthetic to draw sweat away from the body is ideal.

I do a lot of running in the winter, and I stay warm because of this.

• Members

Never really looked for name brands, but I've lived in cold weather states for most of my life (grew up in MI and upstate NY).

I have two coats for the cold months. One is an old eddie bauer Gortex (sp?) ski jacket with a polarfleece interior. The interior can zip out for a lighter gortex shell or a lighter polarfleece jacket. It's really warm. I also have an old military surplus jacket that I favor.

Socks- Just get wool socks and you should be fine. Not lightweight. Go to Dicks or some sporting supply store, and grab the thickest set of wool socks you can find.

Flannel shirts are always nice. Sure, you look like a lumberjack, but man, that {censored} is warm.

Head- Wool again. I'd advise a wool scarf as well!

Here's one of my favorites - Get a set of tight fitting silk long underwear. For soem reason, it really keeps you warm.

• Members

For activity in cold weather I cannot stress the importance of the layer of clothing closest to the body. NOT COTTON. Some kind of moisture wicking synthetic to draw sweat away from the body is ideal.

I do a lot of running in the winter, and I stay warm because of this.

I'm gunna be in RI so our temps are gunna be close.

How many layers do you wear in the winter and how do you protect your feet and ears?

• Members

Never really looked for name brands, but I've lived in cold weather states for most of my life (grew up in MI and upstate NY).

I have two coats for the cold months. One is an old eddie bauer Gortex (sp?) ski jacket with a polarfleece interior. The interior can zip out for a lighter gortex shell or a lighter polarfleece jacket. It's really warm. I also have an old military surplus jacket that I favor.

Socks- Just get wool socks and you should be fine. Not lightweight. Go to Dicks or some sporting supply store, and grab the thickest set of wool socks you can find.

Flannel shirts are always nice. Sure, you look like a lumberjack, but man, that {censored} is warm.

Head- Wool again. I'd advise a wool scarf as well!

Here's one of my favorites - Get a set of tight fitting silk long underwear. For soem reason, it really keeps you warm.

Yeah I figured that I will need a sort of Goretex coat. I will have to look and see if I can find Gore Tex shoes as well.

I think the silk underwear or the Long Johns will be perfect for going out after work (under my clothes that is):thu:

• Members

Brands are less important than wearing the right materials. For extended cold weather:

Base layer: light weight polypro 'silk' top, bottom and sock liners.

Intermediate layer: medium to heavy fleece.

Outer layer: Goretex pants and jacket.

Hat and gloves are a must. A balaclava-style hat may be a good choice.

Sunglasses or goggles.

Thinsulate lined Goretex boots.

Never, EVER wear cotton as a base layer. You're better off avoiding it altogehter.

• Members

Never, EVER wear cotton as a base layer. You're better off avoiding it altogehter.

Yup.

Wear polypropelyne underwear (Hot Chilis brand are my favorite), with fleece pajama pants over those, and then some Gore-Tex pants. Snowboarder's pants are very warm.

For your top, wear the polypro underwear, a thin fleece shirt,

then a wool sweater or thick fleece jersey, then the Gore-Tex shell. Find a shell with an insulated hood.

For your feet: one pair of wool socks. DO NOT double up your socks, if you do you'll be sorry. Sorel boots are awesome.

For your head: wool knit hat.

Gloves: Mittens. Seriously. Something with fleece liners.

I've spent some very cold nights in snow huts, and I've stayed very warm using these items. Don't forget miscellaneous items like scarf, goggles, gaitors, and crampons if you're going to be in an alpine environment.

C7

• Members

I love this place. I've been stressing out over my upcoming assignment to Rhode island in the middle of winter because I have zero experience in physical training outdoors in freezing temps.

I got a good list from this thread.

I scored a coupla polypro compression style undershirts from Wally World. I also dug through my gear from the days when I did 24 hour mtn bike races and found my fleece balaclava and some polypro leggings and arm warmers. I found an old Gore Tex yachting jacket w/ fleece liner in my coat closet. Gunna go look for Gore Tex pants and wool accessories.

A question about the wool socks though, wouldn't they make my feet too big to fit in my present running shoes?

• Members

smartwool socks are the way to go....you can use extremely thin ones and they will keep your feet warm and dry, i use an extremely thin pair for snowboarding and running and btw...im from RI and they work in the cold/wet weather there

Smartwool makes very expensive socks, but they are the best I've ever used. I have many pairs, and after 8 years, they all fit like new socks.

• Members

Smartwool socks it is then

Wise choice, they make a great sock. I also wear those when skiing...

So what are you doing in RI anyways? It would help knowing. I'm right in CT, and it's been pretty cold here. The past few days it's been a little warmer though, but I might just be getting used to it now.

• Members

Ya know the stores are trying to sell ya 3 layers of stuff and this and that when all you really
still
need is long underwear, a downcoat and hiking boots. If a downcoat gets wet you hang it up near the fire and next day yer ready fer action.

down jackets are like giant sponges. i wound NEVER want to wear one in any sort of precipitation. while skiing you get hot rain or snow soaks into the insulation layer then you sit on a lift and it freezes. not smart. its almost as bad as those you see wearing a hoodie sweatshirt as their top layer. more times than not they are snowboarders who have to sit down to clip in and the back is soaking wet and freezing when its cold enough.

my ski gear:

under armour long sleeve shirt (warm weather kind, cold weather is too thick)

north face fleece

north face shell (goretex and waterproofed with spray each fall)

bottom

adidas warm up pants

spyder snow pants

polypropylene socks (one pair only)

if its super cold like -10 and below when i am up north (VT) i have a thicker fleece to wear as my middle layer and i throw on a pair of fleece pants instead of the warm ups. i aslo use a helmet instead of a hat all the time (why not) and use my hood when it gets too cold or is snowing.

• Members

Smartwool socks it is then

I need to try some of these.

Big +1 on the sweat-wicking synthetics. Think thin, peel-able layers. Don't forget the reflective gear if you're running after or near dark. :mad:winter:mad:

One thing I do on particularly cold days is layer 2 pair of very thin socks. I can usually get those in my running shoes without it being too uncomfortable.

Also, I do 2 pair of gloves. I'll use very thin gloves on first, then a thicker, looser pair on the outside. Often, I'll end up peeling the outer layer of gloves. Keeping your hands too warm is a little bit of a no-no for training. You spill a lot of excess heat thru your hands. You won't go fast if you can't cool yourself. That may or may not be a priority.

Hats...I go with a toboggan that covers my ears. If it's really cold, I'll put a fleese headband either over or under that. I also like to use a neck-warmer fleese as well.

One other thing is traction. It's a pain in the rump around here after a snow storm. Snow and ice removal is sloppy from the roads. It's almost non-existant on the sidewalks. Often, if I have a choice as to run on a patchy, half-cleared sidewalk or on the snow-covered grass, I'll pick the snow. Bonus if you have Yak Tracks.

• Members

So what are you doing in RI anyways? It would help knowing. I'm right in CT, and it's been pretty cold here. The past few days it's been a little warmer though, but I might just be getting used to it now.

I will be attending a Navy school for old, barnacle crusted sailors like myself. A big part of it is physical training. The website advises that unless the wind chill factor is 20 F or less, exercise will be outdoors. I'm not one to shy away from PT but given the physical condition of the average Navy Chief/Senior Chief/Master Chief, those of us who are in good shape will be forced to slow down and freeze our asses off while the sedentary ones are brought up to speed. We basically have to sink together or swim together.

• Members

a Wind chill Factor of 20 is a refreshing, invigorating run.

It is the days where it is 20F out AND windy that you need to worry about. :)

Take the advice here about under layers, great socks, gloves, headgear, and weather resistant outer layers, and you'll be more than fine.

• Members

Easy there Alice, it's Rhode Island, not North Dakota or Minnesota. You'll be just fine. :poke:

:wave::thu:

Grew up in South Dakota, currently in MN, lived in ND in-between.

Usually if I am doing anything physical outdoors, I start with long underwear, sweatpants/jeans (depending on what I'm doing), and then ski/snowboarding pants to cover my lower half and long underwear, t-shirt, sweatshirt, Columbia coat. Then a pair (or two if its really cold) of thick wool socks, and the obvious hat and gloves. Of course, after about 20 minutes of doing anything I'm down to sweatpants/jeans and the long-underwear-with-a-t-shirt-over-it combo, but the socks/gloves/hat stays on at all times.

• Members

:wave::thu:
Grew up in South Dakota, currently in MN, lived in ND in-between.

Usually if I am doing anything physical outdoors, I start with long underwear, sweatpants/jeans (depending on what I'm doing), and then ski/snowboarding pants to cover my lower half and long underwear, t-shirt, sweatshirt, Columbia coat. Then a pair (or two if its really cold) of thick wool socks, and the obvious hat and gloves. Of course, after about 20 minutes of doing anything I'm down to sweatpants/jeans and the long-underwear-with-a-t-shirt-over-it combo, but the socks/gloves/hat stays on at all times.

Yea, this is Massachusetts. Until it gets below freezing, I'm in jeans, sneakers, a t-shirt, and a flannel shirt.

Archived