Why bother with a Light Weight Amp?

D Aussie

• Members

You too huh? i've already had a microdesectomy and a decompression operation back in 97, now it's progressed to a point of them wanting to remove the L-4/L-5 and L-5/S-1 discs and do something else to the T-12/L-1, they are kind enough to let me keep my (not too bad) L-2/L-3 disc. I have yet to tell them my cervical area is going also...i'm just letting it do what it's going to do, i'm in no big hurry to hop back on the table; if you know what i mean?
:cry::mad:

Yep! Huge advances have been made in back surgery over the last 20 years but it's still a really big deal. I'm having some nerve issues in my left leg as a reslut of some scar tissue from the original surgery in 2001. I also, am in no rush to entertain a surgical solution.

Getting old sux.............but then again....we get to move on sooner!

Hang in there mang!

PD

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I mean, I can understand why you would want an entire light weight rig, but the reality is, bass players love and need their wall of sound speakers.

Having a 2kg head isnt going to remove the need for 30kg + speakers, now is it?

Maybe Nexo will come out with something for us.

Why compromise in some way getting a light weight head when your speakers still weigh in heavier than Andre the Giant?
:confused:

It does seem a bit daft to pair up a tiny lightweight head with a 'normal' cab. But it might not be a compromise- if you want a certain (clean, generally) tone, these wee SS amps are good. I know some people take their tiny head away with them after a gig and leave the (often old and battered) cab on stage, since it's less likely to get nicked and is worth naff all anyway.

FWIW I am a fully converted lightweight fan- Markbass 121p combo which I use for ALL my gigs, without PA support. It's an amazing wee thing. I was going to get an extension cab but it's nearly a year later and I haven't got round to it...

• Members

FWIW I am a fully converted lightweight fan- Markbass 121p combo which I use for ALL my gigs, without PA support. It's an amazing wee thing. I was going to get an extension cab but it's nearly a year later and I haven't got round to it...

I owned one of those for awhile. AMAZINGLY loud little buggers. I am regretting my sale of it.

• Members

I don't get why people complain about weight. ESPECIALLY something as light as 65lbs. I'm certainly not a big guy, but I have NO problem moving amp cabs. My guitar amp's 4x12 is about 75lbs and I move it around all the time without any trouble. The head to the amp is another 30lbs and I've moved both at the same time before.

I just don't understand why this is such a huge complaint. It's not like you're walking a mile holding a heavy amp.

Also, why the hell downgrade to a smaller amp? I have a 35w combo that I play through for practice, and compared to bigger amps I've played it just sounds so weak.

Once I get a bigger bass amp I'd never downgrade to a smaller one because of the weight. :idk:

• Members

I don't get why people complain about weight. ESPECIALLY something as light as 65lbs. I'm certainly not a big guy, but I have NO problem moving amp cabs. My guitar amp's 4x12 is about 75lbs and I move it around all the time without any trouble. The head to the amp is another 30lbs and I've moved both at the same time before.

I just don't understand why this is such a huge complaint. It's not like you're walking a mile holding a heavy amp.

Also, why the hell downgrade to a smaller amp? I have a 35w combo that I play through for practice, and compared to bigger amps I've played it just sounds so weak.

Once I get a bigger bass amp I'd never downgrade to a smaller one because of the weight.
:idk:

to each his own superman! didn't you see the post above yours?

the guy had a heart attack...some peolpe need light weight, some are just smart enough to save their backs,

especially with all this great new light-weight technology. i know i'm stoked! of course i'm always humpin gear.

i would say over 90% of all the bands i've seen where the bass player had a giant rig / ego, sounded like muddy squished poop!

or it was just for looks because the FOH sound was ran direct.

to each his own brutus! i suppose you drive a hummer to 7-11 for a super ultra big gulp, or maybe you use a 24" skillet to cook one egg?

cheers

• Moderators

Once I get a bigger bass amp I'd never downgrade to a smaller one because of the weight.
:idk:

Your notion is completely devoid of thought provided the venue has a capable sound system. Why am I going to lug 150 pounds, when I can get tone I like out of 50? That's just not even a logical thought process. Beyond that, wait until you have L1 back surgery and come back and post your same "I don't understand" post.

• Members

Your notion is completely devoid of thought provided the venue has a capable sound system. Why am I going to lug 150 pounds, when I can get tone I like out of 50? That's just not even a logical thought process. Beyond that, wait until you have L1 back surgery and come back and post your same "I don't understand" post.

cheers!

• Members

My main rig is a 90# SVT and a 130# Aguilar 810.

I love the thunder of a big cab.

The crowd sees the 810 and they know it's going to be a party
:thu:

that's cool...sometimes i run direct, stage monitor only...

as soon as we start playing they know it's a party! :thu:

• Members

Except on the stage

i have the luxury of having a thunderous monitor at that gig, so the stage sound is full and present.

but i must admit, having my chest rumble and my pant legs flap standing in front of an 8x10 feels sooo good...

most of these cover gigs are just in, out, get paid, go home, no need for a broken back, just keepin' it light and simple.

i must say i always have my tone no matter wich rig i bring.

• Members

Play a four hour gig and load out at 2:00 AM. Tell me how heavy you want your {censored} to be then!

A lot of things depend on your transportation situation. When I had a small sports car, I needed something compact/lightweight... or it wouldn't fit. If you've got a large vehicle, one big cabinet with wheels works just fine. If you have to load up/down stairs or lift the cabinets into a truck yourself, you need something that tilts back or something small enough to lift easily.

We play 3-4 shows a week and everyone moves their own gear because everyone pretty much gets there when they need to. The rest of the guys pretty much have it right -- small combo amps for everyone. (Being the drummer sucks!)

• Members

For me a lightweight (combo) amp is great because it isn't the only thing I have to shift at the end of a gig. I can get back to my car in one trip carrying my bass, rig, and my mic stand and monitor.

Our drummer doesn't drive so I usually end up transporting his kit for him.

FWIW I also have access to a 2x15 monster cab which has never left the garage...

• Members

My main rig is a 90# SVT and a 130# Aguilar 810.

I love the thunder of a big cab.

The crowd sees the 810 and they know it's going to be a party

:wave:

Although, I just bought a neopak and probably going to pair it with a 212 of some type.

• Members

Play a four hour gig and load out at 2:00 AM. Tell me how heavy you want your {censored} to be then!

A lot of things depend on your transportation situation. When I had a small sports car, I needed something compact/lightweight... or it wouldn't fit. If you've got a large vehicle, one big cabinet with wheels works just fine. If you have to load up/down stairs or lift the cabinets into a truck yourself, you need something that tilts back or something small enough to lift easily .

+ 1000 try loading that heavy {censored} on a scooter or on the subway in a crazy dense city like Seoul! If the bass amp isn't provided, I can carry a 1x10 speaker and a little Powerblock (to use as a stage monitor) along with my bass on my scooter or on the subway and I am good to go! After 3 or 4 hours the thought of loading out a big rig is not one that appeals to me even if I was back home with a van!

Archived