Wish me luck, folks!

Kerouac

• Members

I know I don't post here too often, but I've got some bass related potential good news, so I shall!

I've been playing guitar and bass for over well over a decade and teaching for several years, but I haven't played bass full-time in a band for almost 5 years. Tomorrow I have an audition/hang-out with a local metal band that is pretty big in the area and local scene and has opened for God Forbid, Between the Buried And The Me, Kataklysm, Cephalic Carnage, and other groups.

I was recommended because I teach with the brother of the exiting bass player, and I'm heading down tomorrow to jam with the guys and see how we all get along. This will be the perfect time to unveil my 80's BC Rich Warlock with the Khaler Bass Trem... it's maybe a bit too extreme to use with the majority of my bass students and subbing gigs, so I'll be glad to put it into action!

Send me much mojo, and if all goes well then maybe it's time for a new amp and cab too! :cool:

• Members

Alright... time to hit the shower, get dressed and go to work. Audition is at 7:30, and I get done with work at 6, but I'm going to be down by the rehearsal space already, so I'll get in some extra practice in between.

Bang the head that doesn't bang, mother{censored}ers!!!!

m/

• Members

Alright... update time:

I did take bass pics, but I left the camera cable at my studio. :rolleyes: If there was a way to just make a camera use a standard USB of Firewire instead of that stupid ass "mini-USB I would be thrilled. :mad:

I feel pretty good about the audition. The band was pretty warm and welcoming, and they knew me basically from their CD release party, and somewhat by reputation as a private teacher. Their tuning is Drop D, down a full step, and it was a bit hard to play on this bass as it had a regular set of .45 to .105... flop city! My tremolo picking wasn't very good because of this, but I showed them the technique on other strings and they seemed to understand the tension is out of whack. (I ordered some heavier Webstrings, but as of today I still haven't received them. It's time for a call tomorrow if they don't come!)

They also knew I wouldn't be too up on all of the songs... the CD was only released a few weeks ago, and they put out the call for a new bass player just last Monday or Tuesday. I knew most of the track listing, and had picked out a couple of the riffs pretty accurately. Since a lot of their material is pretty chromatic, I was usually only off by a bit, and when I watched them play it things went well. I "learned" one song pretty well, and it took us about 10 or 15 minutes for me to first see them play it and then play along. It wasn't perfect when we all played together, but I got a minute break or so and worked out the parts on my own.

After that we jammed around one of my riffs just to get a feel for what I could do. After that, they had me do some backing screams and growls for them, and then we just talked a little bit about their expectations, my availability, etc. I was told I did a pretty good job for more or less coming in cold and having never played these songs alone or with them. They have some more bassists to audition, but I should hear back one way or another next week. I asked them if there were any songs they'd like me to work on in case I needed a second audition, and I was given one more song, plus the one we worked on tonite. I'm going to try to hook up with the exiting bassist this weekend and pay him in beer to help me transcribe and watch how he played the parts... maybe even video tape it and then try to have the majority of the album learned just in case I do get a call back.

The most challenging part for me so far is hearing the bass through the kick drums... I can feel it and in several parts I can make it out better, but I think after Brian helps me with his old parts and after jamming with them today I'll be able to learn it fairly quickly. There are also a lot of tempo changes, so I'm going to see if I can make a tempo map in Sonar so I have some better ideas of the exact changes.

Thanks for the mojo, guys... keep it coming for one more week! :thu:

Archived