Low tunings, anyone?

RAGEman143188

• Members

...I played with a band where I had a four string but I used the 4 lower strings of a 5 string set and that worked fine, I don't know if it sounded or played any good (I'm pretty sure it didn't) as I was drunk most of the time back then, I have heard of others doing it though.

• Members

The band I'm auditioning for tomorrow plays in Drop D, tuned down a whole step (C tuning) and I'm going to be playing on some floppy strings unfortunately. :( The strings I ordered last week haven't arrived yet, and knowing my luck, they'll be here tomorrow after I've left for the day! :mad:

• Members

I rock most of my basses in BEAD with standard 4 string sets. I think my E (tuned to B) is .105.

It's not for everyone, but it works for me.

My Peavey Fury II is currently BEAD with a medium set of Dean Markley Blue Steels on it.

After a little setup and a little adjustment from the playing side, I really dig it. :)

I'd recommend some heavier gauges and a setup. :)

• Members

A couple of things...

Standard string sets have diminishing tension as you go lower. This is not necessarily a good thing as when a string is more loose than the balance of your set it moves more and is louder as a result. I am a huge proponent of more even tension sets. I usually use A above standard E as a benchmark.

If it were mine to do, for drop C (CGCF) I'd come by the following; .125 .085 .065 .050

You'd be hard pressed to find a set with these gauges because of the dropped C but these will feel and perform better than a off-the-rack set. Singles are your friend here.

• Members

I'm posting for my good friend, and cousin, who is a bass enthusiast. Any of you guys out there that play detuned 4-strings, what are good gauges to use on a bass for like, say drop-C?

Thanks in advance!

-Alan

i play in drop c on a 4-string. i use a standard set of 5-string bass strings and leave off the e string. my bass is strung B-A-D-G and tuned C-G-C-F

it works. for me.

Archived