Dr. Bass RX310 strange phenomenon

no-logic

• Members

I have a Dr. Bass RX310 cabinet and when I have the bass boosted a fair amount and hit an open E string I get a loud fluttering like noise from the port. I know it's the air being displaced by the speakers but it is very noticeable and a great annoyance. It makes the cab sound like it has a shredded cone on one of the drivers. Is there any way to eliminate this? Like maybe more bat material inside?

• Members

That might help but it might make it worse; you're basically lowering the volume of the cab when you add stuffing.

This isn't a strange phenomenon, though. It happens to almost all ported cabs when the speakers are really extending. There's only so much air that can move in and out of that port before it starts to flutter. The only solution is a larger port, but that changes the entire tuning of the cab.

Just back off the bass boost, and maybe cut some mids to get that bassy tone you're looking for.:confused:

C7

• Members

Yes, from right out of the box.

I tend to agree with C7. Especially since you have the bass boosted.

And does that cab have the triangle-shaped port? I wonder if that has the tendancy to cause weird air pockets (or whatever the technical term is). :idk:

But, you can always write Marc to get his idea. After all... he's the one that built it. He might be able to recommend some optimal EQ settings for that specific cab.

• Members

So it sounds like my only option is to back off on the bass boost. Too bad. If that's the case I will not be able to get a good sound out of it.....at least not one that suits my taste.

If you like to boost the bass... you really need something bigger than 10's... IME.

• Members

You know it my be O.K. in our drummers basement which is where I intented on using it anyway. Lows tend to get pretty boomy there. My basement, which is where it is now, tends to suck up the lows.

True. And on a stage with a wood floor and the cab in/near a corner... you might be quite surprised at what you are able to pull out of a cab that would otherwise flutter.

• Members
Did I miss something? I thought you quit your band.
:confused:

I decided to stick it out for a while. It seems our singer had a talk with our lead player and told him to play nice. In fact, he even said "Nice Job!" to me after our last gig. So we'll see what happens.

Archived