Neck Adjustment Required?

UK_Lefty

• Members

Put some super-light DR Hi Beams on my bass and the strings rattle from 1st to 4th fret. Does this mean I need to straighten the neck out a little (it was bowed perfectly for the previous set of heavier strings) or is there a more sinister problem?

I've never doen a truss rod adjustment before and I'm scared of {censored}ing up my bass. How should it be done?

• Members

Put some super-light DR Hi Beams on my bass and the strings rattle from 1st to 4th fret. Does this mean I need to straighten the neck out a little (it was bowed perfectly for the previous set of heavier strings) or is there a more sinister problem?

I've never doen a truss rod adjustment before and I'm scared of {censored}ing up my bass. How should it be done?

Try adjusting the saddles first. Sight down the neck from the nut to see if you need to adjust the truss rod.

• Members

Your nut may need replacing to work with the lighter guage strings. You won't screw anything up if you adjust the neck in small increments under proper string pressure. If you haven't done it before, take it to somebody that knows how to do it or get a book or google search the process. The Fender site has some tips.

• Members

without seeing the instrument we can only take guesses what it needs. *most likely* needs a bit of tension let out off the truss rod. the lighter strings are creating less of a pull forward on the neck which lets the neck sit back some more causing the buzzing near the nut. do a quarter turn at a time and notice how the action of the strings rises. let it sit for a while (an hour or so) before you adjust it again.

• Members

Fear not the truss rod - it is your friend.

Just don't go nutso on it - 1/4 turn at a time. Lefty loosey, righty tighty :lol:

But check your relief before and after - you may need a taller nut. You do know how to measure neck relief right?

Fret the 1st and 12th low E string basically - check the gap between string bottom and fret top around the 7th or ninth fret. I use a 1mm pick as a gauge...

If you've already got good relief there, then you'll have to raise saddles and/or get a taller nut.

Archived