Inexpensive bass suggestion

Jessz1

• Members

Hello Bass forumites! I play guitar and drums and my girlfriend wants to learn to play bass. I told her I would buy her one and see if she likes it or not. I wouldn't mind having one around anyway if I ever decide to actually try and record anything.

Anyway, I would like to spend around 3-400 bucks on something used. I want something comfortable and versatile. I was thinking something like a Fender P bass. She saw a Geddy Lee Fender and liked the way it looked. How are those?

Also, I will need an amp. Something loud enough to hear over a set of drums would be nice. Any suggestions welcomed and thanks!

• Members

3-400 for just a bass. I will deal with the amp later. Probibly around the same budget for an amp when I get there.

Around a grand for a bass and an amp.

Good suggestion on the G&L. I had a nice G&L guitar that I should have never sold. I miss that guitar.

• Members

300 will get you a used standard P or J bass. Both excellent choices.

500 will get you a used Geddy Lee. Also excellent.

If you have a set limit for the total guitar and amp together, spend most of it on amp. Any bass plugged into a powerful amp will be heard over a drummer. The world's nicest sounding bass will be buried if you're underpowered.

• Moderators

This was a recent suggestion I made in a similar thread last month:

---

I could rock every one of my rehearsals and gigs with a SOLID bass and rig for about $750. I would apportion it $100 for a used bass (Squire affinity P), $50 for upgrades to bass (pots, jack, bridge), $300 for a used GK 800RB, $300 for a used 2x12 or 4x10 or pair of 1x15s. With $1,000 I'd spend more on the bass. At $1,500 I'd spend more on the cabinet(s).

---

In your case I'd take that extra cash and get a used Fender Standard Precision or Jazz. If she is in love with the Geddy, it might be worth the extra cash for the added inspiration/quality.

• Members

if youre the fixer-upper type, id get a neat-looking thing off of ebay for cheap and then mess with it.

or buy a used j-bass and make a cabinet with a 15" and get something to power it. it could be fun :)

thats what i did when i started....well minus the j bass....i had/still have my guild b301.

• Members

+1 on all above.

You could also check out the ESP stuff. I am very imressed with the B-50

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-B50-Bass?sku=512723

the only issue I seen was a little hum from the SC PU. The ones I played in stores were very nice, way better than a Squier Affinity at this price point. And at the $400 used you can get a very well built bass.

They might be worth a look.

• Members

I'm a Fender guy, so I agree with everything posted above.

If you're looking for a new bass with a more "modern" look, check out Dean.

Dean makes some really nice stuff for the price, and you'll find some really good deals on eBay.

Dean Edge 4 - $319.00 at Musician's Friend:

276557.jpg

• Members

Your lady wants to play, and she likes the Geddy Lee, but you don't want to spend a lot of money, look into a used Schecter.

Or, go with the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass for $279.

416354.jpg

That'll get you pretty close to the look, feel, and sound of the Geddy Lee Jazz at less than half the price.

Emre

• Members

you can spend 3 0r 4 hundred bucks on a Bass and not get any netter of a bass than this 199.00 Rogue LX 400 Pro I have the 4, 5 and 6 stringer of this model and I am sold out on them.

It blows the Squiers and Dean clean out of the water

trust me I have played them in compairison.

You may want to consider a Yamaha RBX 170 which is also an awesome playing Bass for a fraction of what you were thinking of spending.

The Squier will blow the Yamaha away in looks but the Yamaha sounds and plays every bit as good if not a little better IMO.

you don"t have to spend a fortune to get good guitar.

415T1BE7EPL._SS500_.jpg

269395.jpg

• Members

Thanks for the advice. Lots of good suggestions. I am going to take her to (gasp) Guitar center and see what she seems to like the most and then start looking for a good used deal on one. Honestly, I like the Geddy too so I will try and find her one if I can swing it money wise.

Still not sure on an amp. Hopefully something pops up that will work for her. Thanks again.

Archived