Hey all 8-string players...

• Members

I played one for a while. You have to have a decent fretting hand because you have to put more pressure on the frets. I noticed when I first started playing it that I was actually hitting the higher octave string and not the regular bass string at all. I changed that pretty quickly. Other then that you just have to be a bit more cautious of how you fret because if you screw up a note its alot more noticalbe on the 8 string.

Other then that...I shredded the {censored} out of my picking hand cause I am usually a fingerstyle player and I tried that with the 8 string lol. Luckily I always dabbled in pickstyle so when I switched to that it wasnt too bad. Good luck. The sound awsome and I plan on getting one again someday.

• Members

thats not true at all

Hes right. Im sure you could adjust. Just for me personally I felt myself gravitating to picking on it. Im sure anyone could adjust but in the end its personal opinion.

And mine was strung with the octave strings above the normal strings. If anyone is curious it was a schecter Omen 8 string.

• Members

I wish I had an 8-string Ric!
:(

I wish I still had mine. I ordered a 4003S/8 from Mandolin Brothers in 1991--red, chrome hardware, no binding, dot inlays and a toaster neck pup. I ordered a horseshoe pup directly from Rickenbacker to replace the bridge pup.

It looked and sounded incredible, but I never played it live, so I traded it off for an early '80s MIA Fender '57 P-bass reissue---which I traded in turn for a Hagstrom H-8---which I traded traded for a nice rifle...

(administers dope-slap to self..)

• Members

I've never seen one hanging in a shop to try, but i am very curious.

How much more difficult is the fretting technique?

The only difference I've found is that you don't use you fingertips to fret but more of the meat of your third finger joint. That's not to say that you fret with the swirl of your fingerprint .....but somewhere between the two.

Most 8s are set up with the octave string on top (I think the Ricks are the reverse). While this would seem to favor pick style (which I play) Amy (Clatter) seems to do just find with a 12 string using finger-style with the octaves on top (See her on Youtube).

I have a Waterstone TP 8 and love the big sound it makes. I find it great for recording and fantastic in a live setting, especially a 3 piece rock band.

PD

• Members

During the 80s I played 8-string, starting on a Hondo then moving up to a 60s Hagstrom. By the early 90s I'd got my first Hamer 12-string, which became THE sound of my band at the time, so..I had to get a back-up 12 for gigging, so I got a second Hamer 12. Both my Hamers are/were the B12S. I sold the first one when the band broke up but I still have the second one.

hamer12head.jpg

hamer12body.jpg

• Members

Most 8s are set up with the octave string on top (I think the Ricks are the reverse). While this would seem to favor pick style (which I play) Amy (Clatter) seems to do just find with a 12 string using finger-style with the octaves on top (See her on Youtube).

I have a Waterstone TP 8 and love the big sound it makes. I find it great for recording and fantastic in a live setting, especially a 3 piece rock band.

PD

Yeah, when I got mine I didn't know any better and just started playing it like I would a 4-string, and since I don't know how to use a pick I just used my fingernails as usual. So I was surprised when I started reading later that it wasn't considered a fingerstyle instrument. I do strum it with my fingers sometimes, like I do my 4-string.

Fretting hand doesn't change too much for me, either; I have small, fat fingers so I tend to mash all the strings down anyway! :D

• Members

There's room for some tricky technique that takes a fair bit of finesse and practice. For the tricky stuff I like a pick so I can play just a single string if I want. It's tons of fun just to play fingerstyle with essentially the same technique as a 4 string, though, and sounds cool. I've found that thin strings and low action make a huge difference in playability. A 12 is a different animal, and takes more adjusting to.

• Members

During the 80s I played 8-string, starting on a Hondo then moving up to a 60s Hagstrom. By the early 90s I'd got my first Hamer 12-string, which became THE sound of my band at the time, so..I had to get a back-up 12 for gigging, so I got a second Hamer 12. Both my Hamers are/were the B12S. I sold the first one when the band broke up but I still have the second one.

hamer12head.jpg
hamer12body.jpg

Beautiful bass but I must say that thing must be a bitch to tune. I was thinking of getting a 12 string to mess around with since I like the 8 so much. How hard is it going from an 8 to a 12?

• Members

Beautiful bass but I must say that thing must be a bitch to tune. I was thinking of getting a 12 string to mess around with since I like the 8 so much. How hard is it going from an 8 to a 12?

Not too hard if you're used to the 8. You might need to play a bit slower and more carefully, and it's physically more work. I play my 8 both pick and fingerstyle, did the same with the 12.

I had a Dean 12, the first one I tried had issues - the bridge and neck were not aligned to each other properly, the highest strings went off the fingerboard at the highest frets. The shop ordered me one, which had no issues. It came with enormously thick strings and high action, it was beastly to play until I restrung it with the thin strings I like and lowered the action - the bass tolerated a very low action with no notes buzzing out.

It never told me its name, unlike Ronn in the pic above.

Archived