Thinking about changing string gauges

Optimus Prime

• Moderators

As long as the thing isn't stupidly messed up, why don't you follow the Kindness setup thread? Not really that much magic to it.

He has the info and still has a problem. I think the problem isn't the new setup, it's the old setup that he's still used to. Of course the strings are significantly less tense than they were when the action was jacked way up. It makes complete sense that under reasonable setup conditions his string preferences will change. My mistake was in thinking the expectations were biased towards a good setup.

• Members

It makes complete sense that under reasonable setup conditions his string preferences will change. My mistake was in thinking the expectations were biased towards a good setup.

Now I'm lost. So because the strings are lower, there's less tension and I want lower action AND tighter strings, so I think I need bigger strings? That last sentence has me totally lost.

• Moderators

Now I'm lost. So because the strings are lower, there's less tension and I want lower action AND tighter strings, so I think I need bigger strings? That last sentence has me totally lost.

You want more tension, so find a higher tension string. Some larger gauge strings are also higher in tension, but not all are. You might also be happy with the same tension, but a different stiffness. Stiffness/flexibility of a string has as much or more to do with the feel of the string than tension. For example, a lower tension set of flatwounds can often be stiffer than a higher tension set of roundwounds. Many people confuse stiffness and tension.

Archived