Thinking about changing string gauges

Optimus Prime

• Members

For the past 4 years I've used Ernie Ball Regular Slinky bass strings. Since I've upgraded my bass I've noticed that the all strings aren't as tight and punchy as they used to be, especially the E string when it's tuned to D. The only thing that has changed that could effect that is the bridge. I went from a standard Fender bridge to a BAII. I thought it was supposed to ADD punch, clarity and sustain. My hammer-ons and slides are so weak they're barely audible.

I'm thinking about changing my string gauges.

.50 -> .45

.70 -> .65

Keeping the .85

And .105 -> .110

Bigger strings would have to be tighter to be tuned to the same note, right? So going from a .105 to a .110 should tighten the E string a bit? I could just buy the Power Slinky set but I don't like overly big strings?

What do you guys think? Any help would be great. Thanks. :thu:

• Members

I've never seen a 45-110 set myself. You'd have to get a custom set.

Are you sure you didn't mess up when you installed the bridge? Maybe you should take the bass to a tech.

You can buy single strings at the Ernie Ball website. It's pretty much a Hybrid Slinky set with a bigger E string. It would cost $5 more than buying a set.

I had a tech assemble the whole bass. Never been to him before, but he seemed to know his {censored}.

• Members

I went from a standard Fender bridge to a BAII. I thought it was supposed to ADD punch, clarity and sustain. My hammer-ons and slides are so weak they're barely audible.

Is that the bass you posted a pic of with the super high action?

If so, that's your problem and not the bridge.

• Members

I've never seen a 45-110 set myself. You'd have to get a custom set.

Fender Super Bass 8250s would do the trick.

45, 65, 85, 110(taper wound)

They are also punchier than Ernie Ball Slinkys.

Musician's Friend Link.

FWIW, I also play an MIA Jazz bass. If I pick right over the nick pickup, I get mass low end thump. Anywhere back further towards the bridge, very bright and will cut through like a sword. :cool:

• Members

It's that bass, but with a new body and bridge. The strings are still high. Everything used to sound fine, the only thing that could have changed string tension is the bridge, right?

I hate to say it bro, but that setup was WACK.

Only Jamerson could truly play well on such high action.

That's killing you man - get that fixed and then worry about the other stuff.

• Members

Why did you think so?

And you think new string gauges are the solution? Take a few minutes and look at this with a more critical eye.

Because the package says so. :p

No, I think new string gauges are the solution to the fact that my stings aren't as tight as they were. I can live with weak hammer-ons and slide.

• Members

Ahh, the old strings-thru tone debate.

:snax:

My personal favorite! :thu:

Optimus, if nothing else has changed, I'd look at what has. In this case, that's the bridge and body.

How about the general condition of the strings? Sometimes strings can lose their life, tightness, and punchiness without the player even noticing it. Maybe you just need a new set of strings?

• Members

Optimus, if nothing else has changed, I'd look at what has. In this case, that's the bridge and body.

How about the general condition of the strings? Sometimes strings can lose their life, tightness, and punchiness without the player even noticing it. Maybe you just need a new set of strings?

I got the bass back last Thursday. The strings are 6 days old.

• Members

It could be - but this is a calculus of many variables going on here.

Good troubleshooting dictates that you eliminate as many variables as possible by getting as many of them as possible to a known good (invariant) state.

The best thing to do - always, is start with a good setup and new strings.

I for one would never in a million years think of swapping bridges, pickups or string gauges if the setup itself is out of wack.

• Members

I got the bass back last Thursday. The strings are 6 days old.

Fair enough. However...I've put on brand new EB Regular Slinkys as well as Fender Super Bass strings before and the moment I started playing them, I thought they were duds. Not saying this is what's happening to yours, but worth thinking about. I wouldn't think you'd notice that as much if you're a fingerstyle player. I'm a pick player...at the times I was mentioning, I was very much going for an extra-bright sound.

• Moderators

It got setup 6 days ago. Could he have {censored}ed something up?

I doubt anything is {censored}ed up, but it might not have been setup well. I certainly can't tell without seeing the instrument, but based on what you've written I can assure you that your issue is not the gauge strings you are using.

• Members

I doubt anything is {censored}ed up, but it might not have been setup well. I certainly can't tell without seeing the instrument, but based on what you've written I can assure you that your issue is not the gauge strings you are using.

So I should call another tech, explain what I have here and ask what's wrong?

Archived