Netflix or Blockbuster-Online?

Rowka

• Members

Have and like Netflix.

Blockbuster Online would be cool since you can pick up some movies at the local store if you want to but the damn store never has what I'm looking for anyway. I have the Netflix "one movie out at a time" plan because there's 250 channels on the damn TV and sometimes there's still nothing to watch.

As a matter of fact a lot of the time there's nothing to watch :(

• Members

I've had both, but canceled because I just didn't have time to make it worthwhile. If I had more free time and a decent TV (instead of my 25" standard definition CRT), I'd join back up in a heartbeat.

1. Both Netflix and Blockbuster have huge selections and quick shipping.

2. Plans and pricing are nearly identical, last time I checked.

3. Both have good customer service and easy-to-use websites

4. Here's the tie-breaker: if you have a Blockbuster brick & mortar store near you, get Blockbuster online. Every movie you get can be returned to the store for a free rental instead of just mailed out. As soon as the store checks in your mailed movie, it signals the online service to send out the next available movie in your queue. This factor alone makes the basic, one-at-a-time service from Blockbuster a tremendous value. If you get the crazy three-at-a-time plan and live near a store, you'll be swimming in DVDs you'd never have time to watch if you have a job to go to.

My suggestion: Cockblocker... uh, I mean Blockbuster. If you don't live near a brick and mortar store, either service will be fine.

• Members

Netflix has a much larger selection than blockbuster does and is a little cheaper. However, it's nice to be able to just walk into a store and instantly get something 2-3 times a month. Netflix is a lot nicer to navigate, has a nice friends list, a pretty accurate recommendation system (once you rate some movies), and unlike blockbuster, will continue to send you movies till the end of your pay period if you cancel mid-month.

Having said that, I've boycotted Blockbuster for years and have used their online service twice when I got a chance for a months worth of a free 3-at-a-time plan, so I use netflix. I find their service much better though, regardless.

• Members

I've been using Netflix for over 7 years. I've changed my plan a couple of times, and they've remained cmpetitive with their pricing. I have had dvds show up unplayable and missing. With a phone call (never waited more than about 30 seconds on hold) they make it right. Once, my wife sent one of our personal DVDs (Aladdin or Sleeping Beauty or some such) in the Netflix envelope. I emailed them immediately, but they said there was nothing they could do. I assured them that, since the envelope coming back had my account number, plus the incorrect disc, surely someone would notice. Since they had said "nothing we can do", I simply ordered the missing disc, intending to keep it in my now empty case. Well, turns out they DID find it and returned it to us. I, in turn, returned the one I had requested. Recently, I received two (within a week) discs that had been sent from somewhere other than our local (SoCal) shipping facility, and they both arrived with the disc having "escaped" from the envelope. Again, a quick phone call and replacements were on the way.

I give Netflix :thu::thu::thu:

• Members

+1, their customer service is top notch

You can change your plan whenever without hassle, and even if you cancel they will keep your account alive with your queue. If you're like me, this is AWESOME. If I'm backlogged on DVD's I can cancel for a month or two, keep my queue of 100+ dvd's there, and just sign back up whenever.

And their customer service is indeed top notch; you can even do the things zon5string mentioned online. There's a link that says "Report a problem" next to every DVD currently out to you, and there's a slew of options where you can pick one and they'll take care of it on the coming business day.

• Members

I've been using Netflix for over 7 years. I've changed my plan a couple of times, and they've remained cmpetitive with their pricing. I have had dvds show up unplayable and missing. With a phone call (never waited more than about 30 seconds on hold) they make it right. Once, my wife sent one of our personal DVDs (Aladdin or Sleeping Beauty or some such) in the Netflix envelope. I emailed them immediately, but they said there was nothing they could do. I assured them that, since the envelope coming back had my account number, plus the incorrect disc, surely someone would notice. Since they had said "nothing we can do", I simply ordered the missing disc, intending to keep it in my now empty case. Well, turns out they DID find it and returned it to us. I, in turn, returned the one I had requested. Recently, I received two (within a week) discs that had been sent from somewhere other than our local (SoCal) shipping facility, and they both arrived with the disc having "escaped" from the envelope. Again, a quick phone call and replacements were on the way.

I give Netflix
:thu:

I lost a movie once. Logged on to the service and paid their rather reasonable price to replace the movie. When it turned up I sent the mailer in and they gave me a Visa credit for the movie I bought immediately. Didn't even have to call or email them :)

• Members

I've got Blockbuster, and I'm absolutely in love with it. Any time I've had a problem, they've fixed it. There were times that a disc got lost, and they did not charge me for it. They just removed it from my queue.

I've loved it. They have a plan that allows you to try it for 2-3 weeks. What do you have to lose by trying it out?

Archived