Anyone tried Cleartone strings?

bikehorn

• Members

I tried their guitar strings when they came out and the minute I tuned up and played a few notes, I instantly decided these were my favourite strings ever. They sounded like GHS Boomers but...clearer. Pick attack and definition came through much more articulately than I was used to. Compared to Ernie Ball, SIT and Dean Markley it was like going from a lo-fi car stereo to a pair of Quad ESL57s. Bright sounding, to be sure, but not excessive. At the time when they came out they only offered guitar strings, but they have bass strings now too. I think they added them about a year ago. Has anyone tried these? I would get a set myself just about...right now...but I don't even have a working bass amp so there'd be no point. Just wondering if these things have a character similar to the guitar strings, or GHS Bass Boomers. The coating on them was imperceptible - I couldn't tell there was one there at all.

• Members

I've only tried the guitar strings. But, if the bass strings are similar I would think they would be very good. Elixirs are too slick for me. The type of coating on the Cleartones still provide some grip on the guitar strings. Go for it. Worse case scenario is that you get something different next time. You have to change strings SOME time.

Archived