Pinched nerve - owwwwwww

bassred

• Members

So a week ago Saturday I was doing my morning routine, which includes 25 situps and pushups... When I got finished I was sitting on the couch and my shoulders got really tense, like two boulders. Shortly after, as I went about the rest of my day, my right arm on the outside started to get this pulling feeling... the nexzt day my left arm and shoulder were fine, but my right opne was still not feeling right. I took some pretty massive pain killers at band practice that didn't even come newr to touching the pain.... so Friday I get in my car to go pick up my pay check, and I 've got that pins and needles kinda feeling in my right hand's thumb and the outside half of my index finger. I thought it might be carpal tunnel syndrome, which I thought I had narrowly avoided after having issues with my wrists when I was younger., I searched for it on the interwebs and found that I probably have a pinched nerve or something going on around my C-6 vertabrae....

So here's my question to you all.

What is a musician with a part time job to do about this? I have no insurance, I cannot afford to get my wife a Christmas gift, letalone go see a chiropractor..... but I need the full use and feeling in my hand, and the pain is starting to affect me mentally, it really is a copnsiderable amount of pain... (I've been [utting up with it for a week and ahalf now, I'm starting to get really irritable and lose my train of thought...

on the bright side, I went for an interview at Zappos.com for a customer service job and I think I may have got it!!

• Members

If it is a vertebra thing- welcome to the club of perpetual pain. When I am not in pain and am able to do normal work and play golf and such, I live in mortal fear that my lower back is going to go out of whack at the worst possible moment. And it does.

If you had a job with benefits it would be a big help. If you could find a chiropracter who accepts cash he might cut you a break on the cost. Cash in the hand is less hassle than insurance forms and billing. The older guy I have seen lo' these last 27 years cuts me a break this way. He's getting on in years and will probably retire completely soon and I will have to look for a new guy to throw me around.

I know some people who swear by those inverting apparatuses where you hang upside down and it takes the pressure off the joints. I haven't tried one yet, but at the gym they have a sit-up station where you lock your legs in and hang upside down and it does feel very relaxing hanging like a bat.

Theres an apparatus on one of those infomercials that you lay on and it arches your back and neck. Some of the people on that have the same sciatica that I have and they say it works for them and they wouldn't say it if it weren't true. ;) At 59 bucks a pop it might be worth it, I don't know.

• Members

That will teach you for trying to be a fit and healthy bastage! :poke:

:wave:

Yeah, well I've already put on 4 lbs by not being able to do anything active....

the drummer from the show I work gave me his guys' number, I'll see what he charges....

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

SO, I couldn't find any other threads that related to this new job, so I'm reviving this one ot update the topic.

Let me tell you, Wow. I went for the interview and skills test and then hit a clinic to take a whiz quiz, they called me back and I started training on Monday... (that process took most of the second part of the month)

If you haven't shopped with Zappos before, (and I'm totally not spamming, if you want me to remove the name, I'll do it, jsut let me know mods) you should. this company REALLY is all about customer service. there slogan is 'we're a service company that happens to sell'.... and they mean it. We've only gone through the beginnings of customer service information and it is very apparent that it is no bull when they say they want to make their customers say Wow!! There is no up-selling involved and the people are all really friendly!

Lunches are catered or available free from the company (sammich fixins) and all the soda and snack machines are free, so I'll start behaving next week..... I can allready tell that this place is going to be good for me in a lot of ways, I'll be happy again, I'll probably tone down my temper a bit (like I said, the people are all so frinedly and nice!) and after a while I'll have benefits (so if that nerve issue comes around again, I'll be able to really fix it..) and I won't have to do anything except HELP PEOPLE with their orders all day, how cool is that?

Everyone in the company goes through the customer service training, EVERYONE. o there are people in my class who are going to higher places right away, very high places, and we all get to know each other and I think that that is a great equaliser, most places want you to know who the 'TOP' people are..... it's cool to know the titles, but the CEO and CFO etc, have desks the same size that I will get, not big corner offices.... so you know they are into the way of life there too.

I can see why they have been mentioned or featured in trade magazines and the like, they are truly running a business the way it should be done, looking out for the customer, the vendors and clients and the employees!!!! Just thought you'd like to know that so far it's going great! It is unlike any call-center environment I have ever seen..

• Members

Pinched nerve is back to 99.5%, occasional numbness (very slight)... I'm doing stretches and trying to be careful....

Yeah, shoes primarily, but also great clothes and other stuff, if you are into snowboarding or skating they have a sight just for that stuff with cool info, and hiking/outdoors stuff too, they have a page, and running, they are 'community' sites, so while we'd love you to shop with us, there is cool info on there as well. I think they've really got the business model that will usher in a better era of online shopping/experience!!!

Archived