Who here can play a walking bass line?!

Bassius

• Members

Thanks!
:)

Yeah, I got a little more experimental in the second half-going "out" a little, if you will.

I had to cut the loop down a little-I couldn't do that for 4 minutes without getting too repetitive.

That was all good! :thu: You had some sweet movement going on there!

I like it when someone goes outside just as much as I like a straight ahead style. It takes a lot of confidence and comfortability to do both well.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yup! I think you should!

You've heard that, for every force there is an equal and opposite force? Well, Bassius is the opposite of Lug...the anti suck. Neither the suck or the anit-suck should ever be posted. One will make all the plants in your house die, the other will make you never want to pick up your bass....ever.

• Members
You've heard that, for every force there is an equal and opposite force? Well, Bassius is the opposite of Lug...the anti suck. Neither the suck or the anit-suck should ever be posted. One will make all the plants in your house die, the other will make you never want to pick up your bass....ever.

That's a good point... but... I would venture a guess to say that Bassius would do it on URB. And since I don't play URB, I wouldn't feel as bad. :lol:

• Members
That's a good point... but... I would venture a guess to say that Bassius would do it on URB. And since I don't play URB, I wouldn't feel as bad.
:lol:

No, he's probably whip out his Gary Willis. In any case, it'd make sit in amazement and cry. :thu:

• Members

LOL:poke:

• Members

Welcome to my mediocrity. . .

I've never played blues or jazz on bass before, so this is kind of all over the place, and my timing isn't all that great either.

If this is the first time you've walked a jazz/blues bass line then hats off.

And being 'kind of all over the place' isn't a bad thing... You never know what you might stumble across and I heard some changes in there that were pretty cool.

• Members

Everybody is getting some feedback

'cept me :cry:

What I'd like to hear from ya'll is a critique of my fretless track.

Not about what/how I played but maybe some comments/advice on the tone of my new fretless project bass, intonation, technique, etc.

I just started playing a fretless for the first time a month or so ago and this was the first time I've played a walking bass line like this on it.

• Members

You say you can read music, yet you didn't grasp the elementary chord chart bassius laid out?? To me that chart is self-explanatory - guess that's why I thought you meant something different

wades_keys - the bass motion of the last two bars is essentially similar to the I vi ii V7 you reference, but your passing tone choices will naturally be different as the six chord in this case is dominant rather than minor; unless you make sure to use the third (B natural) in your line the chord might be assumed to be vi instead of VI. It (the G7) is really functioning outside the key as a V7 to the ii chord, and it gives the soloist wide latitude.

Right - that third or minor third makes the difference.

I guess what I was describing earlier was my attempt to (in my head) come up with a line by ear without having the changes in front of me.

It proved impossible.

I'm still not sure if I can walk or not - I mean - it will be un-informed by any knowledge of jazz.

I'm gonna try to record something tonight - again - take this as an attempt un-informed by any knowledge or study of jazz - it may not technically be a walking bass line for all I know...

• Members
Welcome to my mediocrity. . .

http://www.collinwho.com/music/walking.mp3

I've never played blues or jazz on bass before, so this is kind of all over the place, and my timing isn't all that great either.

Are you kidding me!?!! That's great! I don't consider myself a good "walker" by any means... but I know I've come far. And what you played is miles ahead of anything I did when I first started learning to walk.

I really wish I had your ear. :(

• Members
Are you kidding me!?!! That's great! I don't consider myself a good "walker" by any means... but I know I've come far. And what you played is miles ahead of anything I did when I first started learning to walk.

I really wish I had your ear.
:(

Well, like I said, I've never played that on bass before, but I did play guitar and trombone in jazz combos in college, so I've heard a lot of it, and at least knew the theory, from a different perspective anyways. So, really, it was just a matter taking what I had done before, and filling in the bottom end for it.

Now, what Bassius just put up . . . That is great!

• Members

see i knew that once i posted a line the thread would sink....

Gee, why could that be?

Hmmm...

maybe 'cuz you're just too good for the rest of us!

:mad: :mad:

Ha!

Say, just listened to your line, like it a lot, really jazzy, with a nice sort of skipping along feel to it.

• Members

Here's mine: http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=10555

I only listened to 2 of the submissions prior to posting this.

I'm not sure if this helps your research, but file mine under "first attempt at creating a walking bass line"

It's all one take, no fixes so you get my warts and all - hey, it's jazz right :lol:

Thanks for the jam track bro :wave:

• Members

:lol: I don't feel bad. And I knew you'd blow us all away.

I've been teaching myself to walk on and off for a couple years now. But it was something that I would work on for 2 months, and then not do it at all for 6 months. So I really didn't progress much at all. But for the past 6 months, that's about all I've been doing. So I'm happy with how far I got. :)

Plus, I am really no good at using my ear. So I had to study all the theory behind it to be able to even attempt it.

But I am kind of curious to know what exactly is the focus of the research?

I mean, you say you want to get an idea of the general public... but why?

• Members

Whew! I did one! Wow, the kids were crazy today, so it's nowhere as good as I wanted, but what the heck, we're all friends here! I'm just waiting for it to upload. I haven't heard anyone else's yet because I didn't want to rip anyone off or anything, so I'll upload mine and then go back and hear everyone else!:)

Archived