Who here can play a walking bass line?!

Bassius

• Members

I play walking bass lines in country and texas swing music every gig.

I prefer the Texas swing, much better lines.

I have no recording capabilities. There is a small walking bass on the song No Strings on my MySpace.

(Chourus and Lead breaks)

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:mad:

I vote upright!
:thu:

If I could play URB, I would have. But I can't.
:(

This is quite fun. I may just do one of each. However, it's my bedtime and I'm working a double shift tomorrow. You'll have to wait until... ahh, it probably wont be until Sunday before I can get an MP3 up, Bassius.

Cheers and goodnight.

• Members

:mad:

This is quite fun. I may just do one of each. However, it's my bedtime and I'm working a double shift tomorrow. You'll have to wait until... ahh, it probably wont be until Sunday before I can get an MP3 up, Bassius.

Cheers and goodnight.

What the hell, man?! You can't tease us like that and then go to bed.

That's just... it's just... MEAN!! :poke:

:p:)

• Members

That chord sequence is standard in 'jazz' interpretations of the blues. If you don't know how/why that sequence is there the way you see it, it's unlikely you could come up with an effective walking bass line for it.

Yes, I can play a walking bass line, and I could play one to that and even record it for you, if only I understood what you were saying about the chord changes in your original post.
:(

Care to explain further?

• Members

Am I missing something here? There are bassists that can't play a walking bass line to plain ol 12 bar blues?

I tried to stay in the pocket but couldn't help myself :)

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=10516

And once I heard the arrangement I just had to lay it down on my 3rd world fretless project:

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=10517

• Members

Am I missing something here? There are bassists that can't play a walking bass line to plain ol 12 bar blues?

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic... so... :)

There is a big difference between "plain ol 12-bar Blues"... and the 12-bar progression that Bassius posted. Technically, it's Jazz that just happens to use a I-IV-V as it's basis.

And being able to walk bass is used in certain genres that simply don't appeal to some players. IMO, if you don't like the music, you shouldn't feel required to learn it.

my .02

• Members

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic... so...
:)

There is a big difference between "plain ol 12-bar Blues"... and the 12-bar progression that Bassius posted. Technically, it's Jazz that just happens to use a I-IV-V as it's basis.

And being able to walk bass is used in certain genres that simply don't appeal to some players. IMO, if you don't like the music, you shouldn't feel required to learn it.

my .02

I never learned blues/country "bass" b/c I never played it. My next goal is re-learning how to read sheet music, and then this stuff second. There's too many country/blues/pop bands around here that require it for me not to be able to do proficiently. :(

• Members

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic... so...

my .02

Actually, I wasn't being sarcastic and I'm certainly hoping I'm not being taken as being snide about it either.

I just 'assumed' that being able to walk a bass line was such a fundamental skill for a bassist to have that everyone could do it (at least to some degree or another). Shows you what I know :)

• Members

I just 'assumed' that being able to walk a bass line was such a fundamental skill for a bassist to have that everyone could do it (at least to some degree or another). Shows you what I know

I guess I asked because I might agree if you're talking about just outlining triads. But the progression Bassius posted isn't all that easy for someone who never studied Jazz.

Archived