Hey astro-nerds

Hearafter

• Members

I'm going to get myself a telescope for Christmas. From what I gather, any Orion product is a sure-bet. All I want to see, are things like Saturn's rings, and Jupiter's moons... not peering into the heart of the Pillars of Creation.

Anyone have a telescope that accomplishes this, that cost you under $200? Anyone have one that they'd sell?

Also, it needs to be able to view terrestrial stuff... I seriously live 200 yards from a chick that has sex parties. :eek:

Thanks!

• Members

Binoculars are sweet. Much easier to scan the sky but the magnification is weaker...although I once saw a photography/telescope store selling ex Soviet border guard tripod mounted binoculars with massive magnification. Damn those would kill.

$200 gets you an Edmund Scientific Astroscan.

astroscan800.jpg

• Members

I'm going to get myself a telescope for Christmas. From what I gather, any Orion product is a sure-bet. All I want to see, are things like Saturn's rings, and Jupiter's moons... not peering into the heart of the Pillars of Creation.

Anyone have a telescope that accomplishes this, that cost you under $200? Anyone have one that they'd sell?

Also, it needs to be able to view terrestrial stuff... I seriously live 200 yards from a chick that has sex parties.
:eek:

Thanks!

Hey mang!

A very good friend of mine works for Orion in CA. He is also a writing partner of mine (and guitard) who is actually a really good guy. PM me if you want his contact info at Orion. He can advise on a purchase based on your budget.

PD

• Members

A Dobsonian telescope will collect more light per dollar. My daughter has a 6" Celestron Starhopper which will allow one to view the bands of Saturn's rings. The details of Jupiter and Mars can also be seen. You can't track objects with an inexpensive Dobsonian but they are very stable which makes the usable at high magnifications. Talk to local astronomers and perhaps they know of some deals.

Orion SkyQuest XT6 Classic

41SqgaHw9zL._SS400_.jpg

• Members

The dobsonian would be harder to checkout the sex parties though!

Maybe research to see if you can find a good deal on a Meade ETX or any Meade or Celestron Reflector or Refractor in the 250+ new price range (that you should be able to find used)

• Members

The dobsonian would be harder to checkout the sex parties though!

Maybe research to see if you can find a good deal on a Meade ETX or any Meade or Celestron Reflector or Refractor in the 250+ new price range (that you should be able to find used)

A $50.00 refractor is all you need for viewing the neighbors.

• Members

A $50.00 refractor is all you need for viewing the neighbors.

Yeah but a $50 reflector isn't going to get you saturns rings either, read the OP :p

http://www.telescopes.com/telescopes/refracting-telescopes/meade80eqarequatorialrefractor.cfm#navbar=a

That one's a little over, but then you'll have an idea at least of what kind of focal strength you're looking for.

• Members

Yeah but a $50 reflector isn't going to get you saturns rings either, read the OP
:p

http://www.telescopes.com/telescopes/refracting-telescopes/meade80eqarequatorialrefractor.cfm#navbar=a

That one's a little over, but then you'll have an idea at least of what kind of focal strength you're looking for.

For stargazing that's a pile of {censored}. Even if the tube was decent the mount would keep it from being usable. In his price range a Dobsonian is the only choice.

• Members

For stargazing that's a pile of {censored}. Even if the tube was decent the mount would keep it from being usable. In his price range a Dobsonian is the only choice.

I've considered all of the above recommendations, and I appreciate them. The Dobsonians would be the obvious choice, but one thing I've been reading is to take into account how much I'd be using it. A $12,000 telescope is sweet, but it would be so big that I'd use it rarely, and it's not portable. I'd like something that can sit in my bedroom, for when it's colder than a witch's tit ouside, or that I can take to the mountains for an astronomy party... dig?

I'm looking into a Meade refractor right now... may score it for peanuts.

Oh, and I'm PM'ing you pickdust :thu:

Thanks for the input, fellas.

• Members

Galileo saw them.

true, but to be fair, Galileo thought that Saturn actually looked like a crude Mickey Mouse icon.

The Dobsonian mounted reflector is definitely the best bang for your buck for visual observing.

Meade, Celestron and Orion are all good brands. I personally own a Meade ETX 90 (first generation) and have taken good photos of Saturn, Jupiter, and the moon, a fair one of Mars, and a lot of Comet Hale-Bopp. they are around $600 new, but used you may find a deal, and it's a GREAT small telescope.

Don't waste your money on a $50 refractor. You'll hate life trying to look at anything.

Archived