Neck Thru VS. 6 Bolt neck

xXSOURCEXx

• Members

No preference. There are advantages and disadvantages of each. Find the bass that speaks to you, then flip it over to see if it is neck-through or bolt-on. Don't get overly concerned about this. My 1988 G&L SB-1 is a THREE bolt, and my 1972 Strat is a THREE bolt. I guess that six bolt would be....three better?

• Members

Many neck thrus look nice to me, but as for preference... I suppose it'd be bolt on. MUCH easier to replace a neck. I prefer the oh so subtle punchiness of the bolt on. As for the sustain a neck thru gives you...my basses have heavy enough bridges and I'm using the right strings. If I want even more sustain, I'll patch in a touch of comp.

• Members

I have only one NT, my Tobias. Really, it doesn't matter to me tho. My Jerzy's a BO, with like 9 bolts, and pretty solid. To me, the biggest difference is whether or not the body's hollow. My Michael Kelly 5, and my two Epiphone EA260's, all have more of an issue with not being really solid than anything else I own. Far less of an issue between the BO's and NT's.

• Members

I have a neck-thru bass: my custom 5-string with a 9-piece wenge/purpleheart neck and wenge fingerboard. It's got the lowest action and best playability of all my basses. However, that is not necessarily going to be the case with all neck-thru basses. To a large extent, I think I just got lucky with that one.

What I like about bolt-on necks is how much you can adjust them yourself. Just changing the neck pitch or raising the neck a tiny bit can make a HUGE difference in how smoothly it plays.

The only downside is that you lose some stability. My vintage 1970's Jazz has a tiny bit of lateral play: a 3-bolt Jazz neck isn't really reknowned for it's stability. But adding another bolt (or three) would take care of neck stability issues.

• Members

Speaking strictly in terms of performance (playability/tone/reliability), I have noe preference and will play whatever feels best. But since I am trying to acquire instruments that perform well, look great, AND hold their value, I prefer NT if I'm looking at a used instrument, bolt-on if I am buying new, as the NT's are much more difficult to counterfeit. If I'm looking at a used bolt-on I want to have a really good idea it is what it appears to be (well documented or a cost that justifies the risk). So there's my snooty opinion.

Archived