If you have a $300 budget to buy a bass and bass for recording - what would you buy?

oates

• Members

If you have a $300 budget to buy a bass and bass for recording - what would you buy?

I have a $350 max and want to add bass to my tracks - what do you think?

I use Protools on an old Mac 633 (its great for what I do) - Use RNP as input in front of Digi001.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

• Members

I have a $350 max and want to add bass to my tracks - what do you think?

I use Protools on an old Mac 633 (its great for what I do) - Use RNP as input in front of Digi001.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

Before everyone else jumps in, a used Fender Mex P bass would be the way to go!

• Members

I'm confused as to how many basses you actually want? You say you want to buy a "bass and bass". So do you want 1 or 2?

I would assume you only want 1... so I would probably recommend a used Fender MIM, or a Yamaha, or an Ibanez.

I think they're all pretty decent in that price range. In the end, it just depends on which bass you like more.

• Members

greatest stock pickups ever put into a bass.

I'm usually pretty impressed with Ibanez instruments for their value - they usually have decent build quality, and nearly always have good electronics... I find myself playing the aforementioned SR-405 more than the Spector Q5 Pro I bought around the same time, because to my ears the SR-405 sounds better...

- georgestrings

• Members

Do you already have recording equipment like a decent preamp and compressor?

If so, then you really don't need much modelling stuff, unless you plan to replicate tube overdrive.

I would just say get a 2nd hand mexi P, get a decent set up, maybe change the pups, and use your existing gear!

Archived