Should I go 5 string?

Drevjn Krendall

• Members

Well its not like I can actually stop you.
:confused:

It's good to know that you recognize how powerful I truly am, for I can keep talking about something even after the end of the discussion has been declared. I can also crush cars with fat chicks and chop down trees with my house slippers. That's right, I have house slippers. What now, sucka?

C7

• Members

It's good to know that you recognize how powerful I truly am, for I can keep talking about something even after the end of the discussion has been declared. I can also crush cars with fat chicks and chop down trees with my house slippers. That's right, I have house slippers. What now, sucka?

C7

Who said there's anything wrong with slippers. It gets cold where I live. I still think that the OP needs a 5 string. NEEDS!:wave:

• Members

Dude I dunno what's with all these ridiculous replies but I moved from a 4 to a 6 and I love it. I use the B and C strings all the time, the B I incorporate into most of the songs I write, the C is for more abstract, jazzy material.

www.rondomusic.com

I got my amazing Brice 6 string for $214 shipped to my door. I LOVE it, the tone is to die for. :love:

Check 'em out!

• Members

I say go for it.

I played 4's only the first 4-5 years after starting out, and then varied between various 5s, 6s, 7s, other 6s, 7s, and finally am stuck on 5s. Just what works best for me. Some people are at home on 6s or 7s, but it's not the same, even though it "only" has that one or two extra strings.

For metal, it really depends on if you like being able to wail on that low E without worrying about the B getting in the way. And if you play w/ a pick, something else to really think about too. That would be a selling point for me. If I played a lot on the E and was in D or C#, etc., I'd prolly get a 4 for that type of deal.

However, I've been through 'em all and my Quantums and Skjold are where it's at for low Bs! :cool: On the price-conscious side, a Spector Legend 5 is the best bang for buck IME anywhere.

• Members

I find that the neck on my current 4 string is quite thin, and would feel wuite at home on a 5 string neck.

Keep in mind that strings are closer together than on a 4 - you will have to adjust your picking and plucking to that.

Get a five but keep the four as well - some lines like slap and funk may be easier or better suited to the 4, plus you'll have a backup bass.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I bought my first 5-string 3 months after I started playing. In addition to more hand positions, the ability to play fifths below the root of the E-string note (very handy for country), you get to play big booming double stops (octaves on the B and D string). Try that with a 4-string.

Certain things just seem to call for a 5-string. I mostly use my Lakland 55-01 or Peavey Cirrus V when playing worship music. It's nice having the D and E flat whenever you want. 5-strings are a little bit more of a handful for slapping and picking though. The requirement to mute the B-string is an additional element that you have to pay attention to. I find that my 4-string MIA Jazz Deluxe is much better (more natural and effortless) for those things.

Also, in my jazz quintet I wouldn't dream of using anything but my MIJ Jazz 4-string fretless. I just don't need a 5-string for that style of music. It's quite busy with walking and the need to play a lot of notes, so I enjoy the faster 4-string neck.

Most five strings (except for the Ibanez Soundgear and probably more I'm not aware of) have a larger neck to navigate. Some are definitely a handful and may affect the speed which you're able to play some things, especially if you have small hands like me.

However, at the end of the day, if someone told me to choose a "desert island" bass, it would definitely be a 5-string.

Different weapons for different battles. I think you should have a choice. Get a fiver and use whichever axe fits the situation.

• Members

If you plan on playing modern rock, IMO a 5'er is a must have... I play alot of modern rock, and up 'til a few months ago had resisted buying a 5er - and did the drop tuning... sure, it took me a couple of weeks to get used to it after all those years of playing a 4 string - but it has made life more simple... I'll always keep a couple of 4s and 5s, both...

- georgestrings

• Members

I like 5. You get more choices for positioning and an extended range. The downsides are - you have one more string to mute and they cost a little more, as cheap 5-strings are generally unacceptable IMHO while cheap 4s can be good basses.

I paid $215 for my rondo 6 string and it plays better than $1300 stingray's I've played at GC. :freak:

:confused:

• Members

I realize that nobody
needs
a 5 string, but you have to understand, when I bought my Spector, I instantly became about 40 times sexier. It was amazing; I didn't even make it out of GC before the girl at the front asked me if she could touch the bishop. It's been like that ever since.

I can't get on stage without a group of women asking me to do shots with them, or to come see them after my set. My wife even started cooking me grits. She {censored}ing HATES grits.

So yeah, it's not hard to be this {censored}ing sexy. Just buy the damn 5 string, it'll change your life.

C7

I think you're mixing things up. It's not the 5 string Spector that's doing it, it's the Lava cables you have.

Come on...do I have to point out the obvious? :mad:

• Members

" Originally Posted by BlueEcho811 View Post

I paid $215 for my rondo 6 string and it plays better than $1300 stingray's I've played at GC."

GC's setups (or lack thereof) tend to make for poor evaluations of that aspect of a bass.

Just saying.

:wave:

Pretty much - and even suggesting for one second that a Rondo bass *could* be better than a Stingray is pretty laughable...

- georgestrings

Archived