Should I go 5 string?

Drevjn Krendall

• Members

Hey, I am a 14 year old bass player, and I've been playing about 4 years. I've decided it's time for a new bass, so i was wondering if a 5 string is for me. I find that the neck on my current 4 string is quite thin, and would feel wuite at home on a 5 string neck. I play alot of Metallica, Slayer, The Clash, and Mastodon, so I'd prefer not to get a fender, and to get a more Metal Style bass, like a Tom Araya sound. So should I get a 5 string, and what is the best one for the money and genre i play?

• Members

5 strings will prevent you from drop tuning your e string. but get what is comfortable for you.

the bass selection where i am (5 string = fender or peavey or crap) would sway me to get a 4 string or order online but the best scenario is if you can play the bass and get the bass that most fits your playing.

i say you should maybe get a 5er:thu:

you could also do the BEAD tuning thing:idea:

edit: welcome to HCBF

you'll need a preamp with that

all your bass are belong to us

boalgs mom will be right over:freak:

• Members

Welcome! :wave:

A 5-string is a good addition to the arsenal if you have the need for the extended range or even just want to be able to play more across the neck instead of up and down it. Try some out, but I'd say it would be worth a shot.

As far as 5-strings you'll want to look into, I'd say Schecter, Ibanez, Cort (who makes a lot of Ibanezes and other brands) and Spector all have basses that are good values (IMO) and have a more metal essence to them than a Fender does. ESP has some, too, but I've never played one because I've never found one.

• Members

5 strings will prevent you from drop tuning your e string. but get what is comfortable for you.

the bass selection where i am (5 string = fender or peavey or crap) would sway me to get a 4 string or order online but the best scenario is if you can play the bass and get the bass that most fits your playing.

i say you should maybe get a 5er:thu:

you could also do the BEAD tuning thing:idea:

edit: welcome to HCBF

you'll need a preamp with that

all your bass are belong to us

boalgs mom will be right over:freak:

It won't stop you from drop-tuning your E string.

I believe there were a few people on here that play fivers but still detune their E from time to time to allow them to pedal on the D string.

But yeah, I pretty much go with what everyone else said:

Try out some basses and see if extended range is for you or not.

• Members

It won't stop you from drop-tuning your E string.

I believe there were a few people on here that play fivers but still detune their E from time to time to allow them to pedal on the D string.

I tune up my low B to do exactly that.

If you feel more comfortable on a 5er...then by all means, get one!

• Members

5 strings are a bonus regarding how to play an E and you can fret lower to C

for me its a bit of a luxury but i have sunk my money in a SR5 and i dont think i will lose out for that

and its got 3 band eq on board

if i went back to 4 strings i know i would miss the low D a lot and fretted at that

so i am content...

its a good tool

• Members

Bit of a silly question, you either need one for the music you play or you don't...

I disagree, you don't have to 'need' it at all to have it. I've been told that you can't use a 5 string for blues and classic rock, but I have no problem using mine.... just because the original material didn't have it doesn't mean that I can't use it...

• Members

I disagree, you don't have to 'need' it at all to have it. I've been told that you can't use a 5 string for blues and classic rock, but I have no problem using mine.... just because the original material didn't have it doesn't mean that I can't use it...

OMG you're using a 5 string for classic rock? You can't play in E at that position for those songs! It's totally a different note if you fret it on the B string! Maniac!:mad:

Nah but seriously, if your hand is comfortable on a 5 string you should get one. They allow you to play in D and E without using open strings, and if you like to tune to drop D, you can drop the E to D and the B to A and have an evenly tuned string to run down to. I recommend getting a bass with a 35" scale if you intend to do this.

C7

• Members

You havn't actually provided a reason why you don't need a 5 string there...

So based on your logic, you don't need a 6 string, because a 4 and 5 string can do it all?

And a 7, pfft... what a noob eh bassred?

:freak:

• Members

You havn't actually provided a reason why you don't need a 5 string there...

So based on your logic, you don't need a 6 string, because a 4 and 5 string can do it all?

And a 7, pfft... what a noob eh bassred?

:freak:

No, what I said is that there is no such thing as 'needing' a certain bass for a certain type of music. all the notes reside on each string, so it's silly to say that style A might 'need' a 5 string and style B might not 'Need' a 5 string, if you want the extra lower notes then get one and use it however you feel fit. God knows I've seen enough players with 6, 7 and 8 string basses who only use the basic 4 for 90% of the gig (drives me nuts, BTW)

and I am in the camp that says that going higher with your bass strings is silly, because if you want to play those higher notes, play the guitar....... Everything on my 'G' string is withing the guitars range anyway, and I've got 24 frets on that string to play around on........ But if it's what you want, go for it.:cool:

• Members

No, what I said is that there is no such thing as 'needing' a certain bass for a certain type of music. all the notes reside on each string, so it's silly to say that style A might 'need' a 5 string and style B might not 'Need' a 5 string, if you want the extra lower notes then get one and use it however you feel fit.

THANK YOU!!!

• Members

I like 5. You get more choices for positioning and an extended range. The downsides are - you have one more string to mute and they cost a little more, as cheap 5-strings are generally unacceptable IMHO while cheap 4s can be good basses.

:thu:

and today i used the low B and C against the keyboard and it sounded really well reinforcing..

i tend to think some guys might throw more money at a super duper 4 when they can get a good mass produced well built 5 for similar cash..

in the uk i would say around

• Members

I realize that nobody needs a 5 string, but you have to understand, when I bought my Spector, I instantly became about 40 times sexier. It was amazing; I didn't even make it out of GC before the girl at the front asked me if she could touch the bishop. It's been like that ever since.

I can't get on stage without a group of women asking me to do shots with them, or to come see them after my set. My wife even started cooking me grits. She {censored}ing HATES grits.

So yeah, it's not hard to be this {censored}ing sexy. Just buy the damn 5 string, it'll change your life.

C7

• Members

I realize that nobody
needs
a 5 string, but you have to understand, when I bought my Spector, I instantly became about 40 times sexier. It was amazing; I didn't even make it out of GC before the girl at the front asked me if she could touch the bishop. It's been like that ever since.

I can't get on stage without a group of women asking me to do shots with them, or to come see them after my set. My wife even started cooking me grits. She {censored}ing HATES grits.

So yeah, it's not hard to be this {censored}ing sexy. Just buy the damn 5 string, it'll change your life.

C7

Damn, imagine what would happen if you got a 10 string.

You'd be like the Lug of sexiness.

You'd just kill people instantly with it.

• Members

Sure, why not.:)

Yes you can find everything you need on a four, but considering the styles of music and bands you've listed, a five would make your bass life much simpler. My band-in-limbo plays a bunch of stuff in standard, as well as a couple lowered keys and having a five lets me play the whole set without any goofy retuning, all with the same bass. Easy. That's the reason I want a low B, I am not going to retune, change string intervals, or use a BEAD four string, I want one normal bass that does it all without having to make any changes. Fivers do that, fours do not. Sixers do that even better.:thu:

Archived