Sealed & ported. What's the difference?

james on bass

• Members

I used to use a ported 15 with a sealed 2X10 on top, (with a Hartke 3500) now that was tone!!!!

The 15 filled the lows nicely, and the sealed 10's would punch you in the back, especially with a good hard comp inline.... never usefull for gigs, but I messed around with it and the rig literally moved me (when cranked)

• Members

Okay, as learned from various speaker-making books, and the EV PA Bible.

A sealed cabinet usually means low compliance speakers, those with a stiffer cardboard surround (the outside edge of the cone). They respond quicker because they have less "throw", i.e. front & back motion range. They are likely referred to as "vintage sound" because these types of speakers have been around for decades. These are also the same type of speakers used in open-back guitar cabinets, like old Fender guitar combos & such.

Ported cabinets use the box itself to help out the speaker on the low end (does little or nothing for mids and highs). Usually using the Thielle-Small parameters, these cabs (the port is designed to a specific length to help "tune" the cabinet) use the long-throw speakers with foam surrounds, and have (generally) better bass response. The cab helps to even out the low tones, giving better (more equal) sound levels over a wider range than the sealed cabs can do. As stated above, a 15" with a port handling the low end is ideal, leaving the unported 10"s to handle mids and highs (such as they are for bass). This info should be available somewhere on teh interweb, if you'd like more info.

• Members

the port helps tune it , the shape , length and size of the port installed determines the tuning , so you can dial in a solid fundamental note by cutting the port tube to length .

is that the transmission line theory..?

mine is open hole in the back...dohhhh all it does is annoy the drummer or take the paintwork off the walls

i did put a bung in it and it tightened it a bit..but with the SR5 i can tighten in with my plucking hand..

:cool:

Archived