REPLACEMENT PICKUPS FOR MY FENDER PRECISION?

sdresdre

• Members

I've got Duncan SPB-1 pups on my '79 Franken-P/J bass. I play classic rawk, and they sound just fine.
:D

i do want the classic vintage sound. are the spb-2's really modern sounding? can they pull off the classic stuff as well? would be great to have a little versatility... :)

• Members

I'd say either a set of DiMarzio Split-P's, which I've heard and love, or a set of the SD Quarter-Pounders, which I'm not sure I've heard but wouldn't hesitate on because of what I've read here. If you could find them on eBay, jump on a set of the Reverend P pups, made by Kent Armstrong. Especially the HO 10.3 kohm ones.

• Members

i do want the classic vintage sound. are the spb-2's really modern sounding? can they pull off the classic stuff as well? would be great to have a little versatility...
:)

SPB-2 pups have a hotter output than SPB-1s. I'd guess you could finesse your bass and amp settings a bit to get the tone you want.

• Members

I like barts a lot, but to reiterate what C7 and Kindness already said - there's nothing at all wrong with fender's stock pickups either. There's a reason those basses are so popular - they record well for all styles of music. I'm curious as to what you feel is deficient in your current ones.

• Members

I like barts a lot, but to reiterate what C7 and Kindness already said - there's nothing at all wrong with fender's stock pickups either. There's a reason those basses are so popular - they record well for all styles of music. I'm curious as to what you feel is deficient in your current ones.

I have had the Squier P PUs and they were weak, and mine quite working:mad:. They are nowhere near the same as a "Fender P PU". Having said that I am totally agree that the Fender PUs are pretty good. I replaced mine with Basslines QP SB-3's. They have a very agressive sound(even with flats). I like them,but if you want a smooth or vintage tone go with somthing else.

Archived