Dan Fogelberg - Rest in Peace

The Insomniac

• Members

How sad. I didn't even know he was sick. :cry:

http://www.undercoverhd.com/news/Story.aspx?id=3653

Dan Fogelberg Loses Battle With Cancer

by Paul Cashmere - December 16 2007

Singer/songwriter Dan Fogelberg has lost his three year battle with cancer.

In May 2004, Dan was diagnosed with advanced prostrate cancer. After undergoing hormonal treatment during the first year, things started to look promising when it was found he had a remission and they thought the cancer had stopped spreading. But it was only temporary.

In a statement at danfogelberg.com it says "Dan left us this morning at 6:00 am . He fought a brave battle with cancer and died peacefully at home in Maine with his wife Jean at his side. His strength, dignity and grace in the face of the daunting challenges of this disease were an inspiration to all who knew him".

Fogelberg was born Daniel Grayling Fogelberg on August 13, 1951. In 1971, at the age of 20, he was discovered by the man who was going to go on to be a powerhouse of the music industry, Irving Azoff. Azoff and Fogelberg moved to California and in 1972, Dan released his debut album 'Home Free'.

Irving is a man who nurtured talent, and with patience, his belief in Fogelberg paid off when the 1974 album 'Souvenirs' became an American hit.

The major success came in 1979 with the album 'Phoenix'. It featured the world-wide hit ballad 'Longer', a song which went on to be played at many a wedding.

The big, big album was the 'The Innocent Age' from 1981. The double album was the home to the Fogelberg classics 'Leader of the Band' and 'Same Old Lang Syne'.

Fogelberg's last album was 2003's 'Full Circle'. After being diagnosed with cancer, he spent the rest of his life enjoying time with his family and wife Jean.

• Members

:cry:

I remember listening to my brother's 8-track tapes when I was little kid. One of them was a Dan Fogelberg album. I always liked his voice.

What's bothering me now is I have a very good friend who is 42 and was just diagnosed with prostate cancer. Each week I'm finding out about someone else who is young has been diagnosed with cancer or just died from complications. I'm 37 and have heard about three people this year in their 30's die of cancer! Damn, was/is there something in our Twinkies or Tang? SERIOUSLY!

• Members

An only child

Alone and wild

A cabinet makers son

His hands were meant

For different work

And his heart was known

To none --

He left his home

And went his lone

And solitary way

And he gave to me

A gift I know I never

Can repay

A quiet man of music

Denied a simpler fate

He tried to be a soldier once

But his music wouldnt wait

He earned his love

Through discipline

A thundering, velvet hand

His gentle means of sculpting souls

Took me years to understand.

The leader of the band is tired

And his eyes are growing old

But his blood runs through

My instrument

And his song is in my soul --

My life has been a poor attempt

To imitate the man

Im just a living legacy

To the leader of the band.

My brothers lives were

Different

For they heard another call

One went to chicago

And the other to st. paul

And Im in colorado

When Im not in some hotel

Living out this life Ive chose

And come to know so well.

I thank you for the music

And your stories of the road

I thank you for the freedom

When it came my time to go --

I thank you for the kindness

And the times when you got tough

And, pap, I dont think i

Said i love you near enough --

The leader of the band is tired

And his eyes are growing old

But his blood runs through

My instrument

And his song is in my soul --

My life has been a poor attempt

To imitate the man

Im just a living legacy

To the leader of the band

I am the living legacy

To the leader of the band.

• Members
:wave: I'm 58 and was diagnost with prostate cancer in March of 05. I went the the prosectomy route and then 13 weeks of radiation therapy. Wasn't fun but I'm still here. And in the same year that they found mine 3 others where I worked were also diagnost and a 4th died. GET CHECKED ACS says 50 or over my doctor said 40 and then every year after 45.

Archived