Electronic drums. You know, for the kids.

groutt

• Members

If I was looking to get a set of electronic drums for my kids (OK, and me) to play with, any lower end sets to recommend?

I know I'll never really be happy with a cheap set, but I don't have the budget for a good set. And I don't know how much they will really get used.

• Members

what's your budget?

I was hoping for something in the US$200-$400 range just to play around with.

Some kind of DIY trigger pads might be an option. Although if they are too ugly, they might not get past Mrs. Groutt into the house.

• Members

I think there's an Alesis/Hart setup for around $500 which includes the DM5 & the drums.

I bought a set for my wife (she's our drummer in my band) & thought they'd be cool for quiet jammin at home & recording, etc.

She hated them.......in fact I'll quote her here. " I like electronic drums as much as you like wearing a rubber"!!

Nuff said :freak::freak: !!

• Members

She hated them.......in fact I'll quote her here. " I like electronic drums as much as you like wearing a rubber"!!

Some people are just purists, I guess. I like the Roland V-drums alot. The kits with the rubber pads are pretty lame, I'll agree with that, but I think the action on the mesh head Rolands is very realistic. The only thing I don't like about them is how the rims of the drums have a different sound associated with them.

It would be refreshing to play in a band with an electronic kit, I think. They have a volume control, the drums are always in tune, and you can rehearse at whatever volume you choose. But you already know this.:D

Plus, they open up a whole new set of gig opportunities; many bars that only book acoustic acts or singer/guitarists with MIDI tracked drums/bass will book full bands that have e-drums.

C7

• Members

Some people are just purists, I guess. C7

I think it has more to do w/ the fact that they were $500.00 e-drums than anything.

But yeah....she's used to real drums & the nuances they bring. I believe a really decent set of e-drums would make a world of difference in how they feel and react to subtle changes in playing.

Some people just adapt to changes easier than others though & fall right in to all that the e-drums offer.

• Members

if you don't mind the work, you could build a set of edrums. check out the DIY forum on vdrums.com

i built triggers for a pearl rhythm traveler kit. i bought some good e-cymbals but a bunch of guys on that forum make their own. i currently use a roland td-8 but you can find modules cheaper than that.

• Members

I've made my own and bought the Hart set that smitty0069 suggested and think that neither are worth the time. Spend a grand and get the DTExpress IV http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-DTXpress-IV-Electronic-Drum-Set?sku=444815, or the Roland TD3 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-TD3SW-VCompact-Electronic-Drum-Set?sku=447838, miles better than the others, trust me.

The brains that are out today are light years ahead of those made just 3-4 years ago. Mesh does NOT equal real drumming experience. Given the choice between the trigger response of the Hart and Pintech low end offerings VS rubber Rolands or Yammys, Ill take a less real feel for decent triggering and dynamic control.

I'm like Stormtrooper/DRF, I havent been able to play bass in a band in 3 or 4 years, only drums.

• Members

I've made my own and bought the Hart set that smitty0069 suggested and think that neither are worth the time.

my kit feels better than any e-kit that i have ever tried. its not as professional looking but i'm not worried about fashion.

i would prefer a better brain but its good enough.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I think I know where you're going with this... You're probably asking about the OSP Drums on E-Bay from Sigler Music. I took a chance at Christmas and got a set (even though I HATE buying sight unseen and Chinese to boot) so I'll tell you what I know.

General Info: If you want a knock-around, have-fun set then these are probably the best deal (biggest bang for the buck) of the CHEAP sets. I would NEVER put them in a class with the Yamaha

• Moderators

I did the same thing for my youngster and got the Alesis DM5/Hart Prodigy set. For what it is, it does the job, but I'm not very fond of the rack itself and use a different kick pad.

Save yourself the trouble and spend a few bucks more on the small portable Roland kits or the Yamahas.

• Members

I'll say that I gig with the Alesis DM5KIT. It hasn't ever broken, though it's definitely not durable enough to tour or anything. I'm always hesitant about the clamps breaking, they're only little plastic gears and tighteners. But that $500 kit has probably seen twenty $100 shows, so I really can't complain at all. Plus, the DM5 is an "industry standard" drum module, so if you ever want to do any recording yourself, you'll have it.

The DM5PRO kit has mesh heads instead of rubber but adds another hundred bucks.

• Members

Just last night I saw a neat Yamaha kit. One unit with about 9 pads, plus two foot pedals. I'd guess it's under 4 bills, and even had built-in speakers. That would be more than enough to get them started (depending on age) I'd think. I'll try to find a model #.

EDIT - Yamaha DD-65, $239.00 (sorry, not at MF) http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DD65/

Archived