Trouble with drummer....i want to quit the band now.

ikestr

• Members

So Ive had time to cool down a bit. I havent heard back from the MD yet but Im interested in what the others have said to him.

Unfortunately I dont have the luxury of replacing the drummer with a drummer of my choice, but I am going to lobby the MD hard for the seq/click at every rehersal and gig.

At some point when the wheels hit the pavement and you are trying to deliver an 'A' package you just have to do what it takes.

ikestr

• Members

Mondo,

He does dress to match the set. Guess what set he has now? He comes in with a new gold-sparkle f*ing DW set on sat night. Holy Cow Batmat! How about dropping that money on a gd sequencer! Oh well, he can do what he wants, but a new set of DW's, come on now thats just (well actually, thats pretty f*ing cool. Id like to have a DW set) plain dumb. Oh and by the way I did not move any of his stuff after the gig...I just packed up my bass, cords, amp and cab and was out of there in 10 min.

ikestr

• Members

Why don't you tell him to stop? I mean seriously, the dudes being a total jackass and you should call him out.

By the time the song starts, I don't have much of a choice, ya know? He starts it on guitar and I need to come in at pretty much the same speed. There's a lot of them I can slow down when I come in... Another Brick In The Wall, Last Dance with Mary Jane, and Pickin' Wildflowers are three that when I come in, I can come in a little slower and he gets the idea. But aside from that I can't do much about it or it'll sound like I'm just slowing down throughout the song (or if I just come in slower there's trainwreck potential). Combine the no-set-list thing with the fact that I'm behind a drumset and wearing in-ears, and I really have no communications with him to know what's coming up!

For the acoustic shows I've got IEMs as well, and he has nothing, so all he hears is me tapping the rubber pads on the electronic drums. I don't know how the hell he does it. I guess he just treats it like an acoustic show, and assumes I'm playing along! For shows with the full drums he doesn't use monitors either, which always gets me too because I know he can't hear himself sing up there.

• Members

Can't you just turn around and tell him to slow the {censored} down? :confused:

I'm like the human metronome in the band. If we're off tempo, all I need to do is turn around and with certain facial expressions the drummer can tell if he needs to speed up or slow down. The rest of the band will hear this and adjust accordingly and quickly. I guess it also helps that the drummer is my brother, so he knows if he doesn't do it I'll beat his ass. :D

• Members

Why don't you tell him to stop? I mean seriously, the dudes being a total jackass and you should call him out.

Yeah, I feel you on that one. I've played in several different situations where this has happened. I've become a tempo nazi since. I always use a metronome. I don't follow it but refer to it every little bit. If you listen a lot of groups play live versions faster. It's like an unwritten rule or something. I usually practice to a drum machine or metronome at some point during my practice sessions.

Archived