Using a Sansamp Bass Driver live

joncyberboy

• Members

Sorry for all the questions in one day (i have a few threads on the go), but who here used a Sansamp Bass Driver live?

The bassist in my band got one as it seems 99% of the time the in house engineer wanted to take a straight di from the bass, but she uses a touch of grit in her sound. So hte BDDI was bought and is now sent directly to the PA (as well as the amp onstage).

Im interested by what settings you guys use and also if you put any FX before or after the Sansamp.

I assumed it was almost like an amp replacer so you'd go

Bass ----> FX ---> Sansamp ----> PA and Amp

But the manual suggests using fx AFTER the Sansamp.

Any suggestions?

Her FX are a fuzz and an evelope filter.

Bass is a Daisy Rock, amp, an Ampeg B5R.

• Members

The problem is that the Sansamp divides the signal chain, sending one line to the PA and one to the bass rig. If you want effects to come out of both PA and bass rig, you have to put them before the Sansamp.

I suppose there'd be no harm though in using the normal instrument out, going into FX, then into the house PA's DI box?

• Members

I suppose there'd be no harm though in using the normal instrument out, going into FX, then into the house PA's DI box?

That should work, but doesn't make a lot of sense to me (since the Sansamp is a DI box).

I think she would be better off with either of the sansamp rackmout units: RPM (used by Geddy Lee) or RBI.

I use an RBI - it has an FX loop as well as an XLR direct out, a separate level control for the XLR out, plus it has 1/4' Sansamp out and unaffected out.

Plus you get an extra tone shaping control on the RBI/RPM (as compared to the stompbox).

Archived