Old country love songs

mike fitzwell

• Members

Hey you old country buffs, I need your help! I'm transferring some old Super 8 film of my in-laws to DVD and need to put some background music to the films. I'm looking for old country love songs since that's what they are in to. Think Marty Robbins, Mickey Gilley, Statler Brothers, etc. If you can provide song names that would save me a ton of time since I want to spring this on them on Xmas day.

Ideas?

• Members

Statler Brothers

One song that comes to mind is "Don't Wait on me" - not necessarily a love song but it's typical tonque-in-cheek Statler's and good fun.

What was the title of that Marty Robbins hit - "town of El Paso"? That's more of a cowboy adventure song but still a classic....

• Members

What was the title of that Marty Robbins hit - "town of El Paso"? That's more of a cowboy adventure song but still a classic....

"El Paso" is an incredible tune, but it does end up with the main character dying in the arms of Felina, the girl that he loved. That may or may not be to the OP's taste.

Classic country is my forte'. While the true love songs are greatly outnumbered by the heartbreak ones, there still are some greats.

"Elizabeth" by the Statler Brothers is wonderful, albeit a bit sad.

"Fraulein" by Bobby Helms is awesome

"Hello Love" is a late-career hit from Hank Snow. Wonderful tune.

"I Want You, I Need You, I Love You" by Elvis. Remember, Elvis was country before he was rock n' roll.

"I Love You Because" by Leon Payne. Probably one of the best pure love songs I can recommend.

"My Woman, My Wife" by Marty Robbins is an ultimate love song, but again a bit sad. "Ruby Ann" is also a good one by him.

"Flesh And Blood" by Johnny Cash is an amazing song from his 70's era catalog.

• Members

Great ideas guys! You're gonna save my ass on this one.

Their wedding film is about 45 minutes long or so. Need a few more suggestions if y'all got some more. If not I'll fill it up with 50s pop love songs as that's what my mom-in-law's thang is.

Observation: George Jones' "He Stopped Loving Her Today" is a very popular wedding song around here for such sad and depressing lyrics. Never understood that. :idk:

• Members

Observation: George Jones' "He Stopped Loving Her Today" is a very popular wedding song around here for such sad and depressing lyrics. Never understood that.
:idk:

It could be worse, like "If Drinkin' Don't Kill Me" :

"I lay my head on the wheel, and the horn begins honkin.

The whole neighborhood knows, that I'm home Drooonk again." :lol:

• Members

Observation: George Jones' "He Stopped Loving Her Today" is a very popular wedding song around here for such sad and depressing lyrics. Never understood that.
:idk:

Are you serious??? That has to be one of the saddest country songs ever written! It was even mentioned in an article of The Onion as causing a shipping crisis in the United States when it came out in 1980. Apparently it was so sad that truck drivers had to pull over and cry whenever it came on the radio.

• Members

Amanda - Waylon Jennings

Angel flying too close to the ground - Willie Nelson

Kiss an angel good morning - Charlie Pride

Those are all great songs!

In true country style, they all have a little sadness in em, except for Charlie Pride....

I like Amanda the best - great lyrics: "Fate should have made you, a gentleman's wife" :thu:

• Members

Are you serious??? That has to be one of the saddest country songs ever written! It was even mentioned in an article of The Onion as causing a shipping crisis in the United States when it came out in 1980. Apparently it was so sad that truck drivers had to pull over and cry whenever it came on the radio.

Yeah, no doubt:

"they placed a wreath, upon his door. And soon they'll carry, him away. He stopped loving her today."

:cry:

• Members

Yes I am serious. I've played it in two weddings and have heard it played at 3 or 4 more. Strange, isn't it? I don't get it either! :idk:

• Members

If you want leavin songs;

Singing the Blues-Marty Robbins

The Letter that Johnny Walker Read-Asleep at the Wheel

Heartaches by the number-Eddy Arnold

Somewhere Between-Merle Haggard

Crazy-Willie Nelson

Permanently Lonely-Willie Nelson

Hope this helps.

Women and Rhythum Section First

Archived