Epiphone EB-O bass(LH)
Epiphone Flying V bass
Epiphone Rivoli bass
Fender Jazz Bass(LH)
Fender P-Bass Special(LH)
Gibson EB-2 bass(Stereo)
Gretsch Synchromatic BassVI(LH) 6-string bass
Hamer B12S 12-string bass
Hofner 500/1 V63 reissue Beatle Bass(LH)
Ibanez Artcore ASB140 bass
Ibanez Jazz Bass(LH)
Jerry Jones Longhorn Bass
Jerry Jones Longhorn BassVI 6-string bass
Kona acoustic bass guitar
Phantom custom bass(LH)
Phantom BW Teardrop Hollowbody Bass
Rickenbacker 4001CS bass(LH)
Rickenbacker 4001S bass(LH)
Rickenbacker 4003 bass(LH)
SX Jazz Bass(LH)
SX Jazz Bass-Fretless(LH)
SX P-Bass(LH)
SX P/J-Bass(LH)
Steinberger L2 bass(Previously Owned by Dee Murray)

Not counting guitars, keys, drumkit, etc.

• Moderators

OK, I can understand having a back up or a fretted and a fretless. But why 10, 13, and 19 basses?

Well, I can't have 10, 13 or 19 women!

Seriously, each sounds different. Maybe no one but me would hear that difference, but I do. I used five different basses on my CD.

A few are novelty basses. I picked up a Jazzy Bluefish for $80 on a SDOTD. How could I pass that up? I have a couple of Daisy Rock heart shaped basses, a red Heartbreaker and a Blackheart. I'll be playing those at a Valentine's Day gig.

I bought the Carvin LB-75 because I thought I wanted a five string. Turns out, not so much, but my younger daughter wants me to keep it, so I do. Actually, she wants me to give it to her, and someday I probably shall.

The Ric 3001 isn't really to my liking, but it has a distinctly P-bass kind of sound, so I keep it around in case I need that sound on a recording. The 4004Cii isn't really my cup of tea, either, but how many people even have one? Besides, it's green! The Midnight Blue 4003 has black trim - it matches my 330/12 - and it has Alembic electronics. The Burgundyglo has Bartolini pickups, and is my current favorite. The white 4000 is the bass I played back when I was a full time pro, and it's been customized to the extent that I probably couldn't get anything for it, anyway.

The Mapleglo 4001 reminds me of my first Ric, just as the red Hagstrom 8 reminds me of my old red Hag 8. Besides, I might want an 8 string for something one of these days. I keep the sunburst Hag 8 (strung for 4 - it's missing some bridge pieces) because I fear that, one of these days, I'll need to go to a short scale. Arthritis.

Finally, there's the Ovation acoustic, for doing acoustic stuff. I played that at a party last saturday.

And that's why I have thirteen basses.

• Members

Why?

1. Main gigging bass fretted: SR5
2. Backup gigging bass fretted: Schecter diamond stiletto 5
3. Gigging bass 5 string fretless: Spector Czech Rebop 5
4. Basement practice franken 5 stringer: Warmoth body, Allparts neck, EMGDC40 pups
5. EADG 4 stringer: Franken jazz 4
6. BEGC 4 stringer: Fullerton bass (and it only cost 35 bucks)
7. BEAD 4 stringer: Japanese/canadian kluge from the '60s
8. Decent acoustic bass for jams and acoustic gigs
9. {censored}ty acoustic bass for camping trips

Again, WHY? Like I said one fretted and one fretless should do the trick. OK, maybe an acoustic one for those acoustic gigs. Why have one just because it reminds you of another one? I guess if you have nothing else to spend your money on.

Archived